Might buy a hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wanderinman

I found a 90 Civic Hatch with a 4 speed and sunroof at a local dealer. The car runs, but has either an engine knock or a tranny knock at somewhat higher RPMS. The body is incredibly straight, no rust anywhere (except INSIDE the driver's side seatbelt latch, wtf). The tranny does shift smoothly, and it feels as if the power is coming pretty regularly. Brakes felt fine and it wasn't scary to drive. I have not had a huge amount of experience dealing with these older civics (94-01 teggies are my deal). I did noticed it smoked a little bit when I got on the throttle, but I really only need this engine to last me another 2 or 3 thousand. He is asking $1500, but I was thinking about showing him $1200 cash. How does this sound for what I've described. Thanks for y'alls input.

clean body is a plus

how many miles?

sunroof and 4 speed?
wtf?
lol

the 4 speed will drive you completely crazy...

the knock would scare me a bit

pull a compression test, tell him the motor is almost shot and offer him 800...
see what he says...

nothing like selling on a used car salesman

sounds like a good buy. its hard to find EFs with straight bodies, atleast around here it is.

Yea, I was confused on the sunroof/4spd combo... I thought the sunroofs only came in Si's, which are 5 speeds right? Anyways, I will do some research more on this, and roll up there spitting all the technical stuff I can muster (it worked getting the integra, lol). The guy in there was old and prolly knew less about that car than he does about nuclear physics.

As for the knock, I am pretty much getting this as a project car, so if down time happens, down time happens, still got the Integra.

Thanks for your help

EDIT: It has 160,xxx miles on it

I'd get it if i had the chance. the motor is easy to replace. having a shitty body or interior sucks worse i think.

yea, it usually only si's that have sunroofs and they are 5 speed...

check out the VIN decoder here in the refrence section...
maybe the trans was swapped?

is it DPFI or MPFI

I didn't take the time to go under the hood, just passed by it and did a quickie test drive. They JUST got it on their lot, and it needs an inspection and whatnot, the dudes going to call me back when thats done. I'll check it out a little more in depth when its actually sellable. As for the swap, the shift knob had the 4 speed pattern, and there was no Si badging anywhere on the car. I'll go by and take pictures of it tomorrow.

The interior was not bad at all, vinyl seats with only a little tearing on the drivers side.

Also, I know that Honda warrants their seatbelts for life, does that include the part the belt clips into?

yeah, all seatbelt parts.

im sure you know this, but is it an automatic sunroof? or one you push up with your hand? if its the latter, its not an Si...

the tranny could have been replaced with a 4spd. they arent so bad. :)

Like I said, didn't take the time to really go through the car, I was just driving it to see if it was worth considering. But from what I can remember, it would have been a pushup sunroof, so not an Si (what I figured). Taking $1100 cash once he calls me (after the car is ready), gunna start at $700 and see whatsup.

Originally posted by TurboMirage@Mar 15 2005, 08:08 AM
then its definately a DX :)
[post=473670]Quoted post[/post]​

Precicely what I was just about to say. My friend used to have one. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by wanderinman@Mar 14 2005, 06:51 PM
I didn't take the time to go under the hood, just passed by it and did a quickie test drive. They JUST got it on their lot, and it needs an inspection and whatnot, the dudes going to call me back when thats done. I'll check it out a little more in depth when its actually sellable. As for the swap, the shift knob had the 4 speed pattern, and there was no Si badging anywhere on the car. I'll go by and take pictures of it tomorrow.

The interior was not bad at all, vinyl seats with only a little tearing on the drivers side.

Also, I know that Honda warrants their seatbelts for life, does that include the part the belt clips into?
[post=473501]Quoted post[/post]​

So you can just go to any Honda dealership and get them to check/inspect/replace your seatbelt equipment for free? I never knew that.

Back