Mike, Bill and I bought a race car....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Wings not legal in an autocross class ? I know SCCA is a bit... obscure.. but how much wing are we talking about at 50 mph, tops ?

What's the harm of moving out of that class then ?

I mean shit.. SCCA certified roll cage. Stock ?

14's pop up once in a while, I have his account saved as my favorite searches...under race rubber. I get emails each time he lists something up.

Quoted post[/post]]
What's the harm of moving out of that class then ?

I mean shit.. SCCA certified roll cage. Stock ?

cages and safety equipment are legal in all classes.

Stock
As a rough guide, if your car has modifications beyond this list it is not eligible for Stock Category:

* Anything available on the exact model and year of your car as standard or optional equipment, as installed on the factory assembly line (nothing available only dealer-installed is allowed), plus
* Standard OEM identical replacement parts
* Accessories, gauges, appearance, comfort, and convenience items (not replacement driver's seat, though) that basically don't help
* Added roll bar or roll cage to spec (not required, though)
* Driver harness (no cutting seats to install, though)
* Trailer hitch and/or tow bar mountings
* Any wheel of diameter and width identical to a stock or factory optional wheel, offset within +- 0.25 inch
* Most street legal tires that will fit the mounted wheels and stock bodywork
* Any shock absorber of the same type and mounting as original; no change to standard spring mountings is allowed; suspension geometry may not be altered; gas or hydraulic shocks are permitted
* Any brake linings; pre-1992 cars may use solid/braided metal brake lines.
* Any front anti-roll bar (no change to stock/optional rear anti-roll bar, if present)
* Manufacturer specified ignition settings only
* Any replacement air filter element (or removal of air filter element); no plumbing changes, however
* Engine bored no more than .020"; no balancing or porting/polishing of head
* Replacement of any part of the exhaust system past the catalytic converter (if quiet)
* Any oil filter
* Added clutch scattershield

shit, that seat may fuck us.........

i don't want the air bags. wtf is it going to do? pad myhelmet from hitting the wheel?

air bags are for pussies

:werd: or you could run in DSP and put some stiff ass suspension on the car (I'm almost positive you can run in the prepared classes with different springs, I know its not allowed in stock).

stiff ass suspension = $$$. we're trying to stay grassroots on this one. more fabbing and fixing then spending money

well...I have some EG6 cusco 5kg springs...will they work on the car? if they do...then $50. Plus I have that set of coil-overs from the parts swap meet...I'll sell you for $2....

and if you can get 13" rims on the car...I'd highly suggest them with some Advan A048s from that Ebay guy...or the hoosiers..

you'd think the ACR would have a different suspension setup, but my computer is telling me all the 95-99 Neons have the same struts/springs..?

gay if true

the acr has konis on it, or so i'm told. i haven't looked.

w0rd

my computers usually pretty right on...but not in this case I guess

it does give me options for 00+ Neons (base, ACR, R/T, SRT)

nice

The ACR Neons are the best performing machines for under $15K. I traded my '95 base sedan for a '97 ACR sedan three months ago... drove it home at 95 mph, took the exit ramp at 85. The car did not complain one bit, and the brakes on this car are just incredible.

They are ultra-smooth at 95+ miles per hour, and in 4th gear, they're still pulling strong at that speed. Basically, an ACR consists of zero weight-adding options, adjustable Koni shocks for '97, beefy front and rear sway bars, four wheel disk brakes without ABS, alloys with performance tires, unlimited-speed engine controller, bigger radiator, specially-geared transmission, tach.

You can get A/C, rear defrost, radio, and CA emissions... those are the only options. Also, front fascia has foglight holes without foglights to cool the front brakes. Awesome setup. Equal to a '96 or later automatic Mustang GT in acceleration and cornering, probably better in cornering.

Car & Driver recently did a skidpad and autocross between a 1997 Cobra, Saturn, Neon, and Miata. On race slicks, the Neon was the *only* car able to pull over 1G of lateral acceleration.

hmm i would think the miata would destroy the neon.

Back