Mild lsvtec buildup: how to & pics

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hey dtob did you feel a diference in putting that header on,, well it make a diference if i change mine i have a 4-1 dc sports on my b16 engine..

Throw that header in the garbage. I have one, its junk. That ebay replica is better, the quality of material used to fab it is not the same as the real deal Hytech but it will out perform the dc sports. I am personally going to run one of my lsvtec if I can get my hands on one next month. If not, ill shell out the cash for Rage or SMSP.

hey thank's !! i didn't know about that one,,it's a biggg diference ,, thank's men im going to log on to ebay right know XD

Tomorrow (Monday) morning, I will be heading to the machine shop with the old pistons/rods, new pistons and the crankshaft. Turn-around time for the machining I need will take about 2-3 days. Ill post pics when I get it all back machined.

Dropped off the parts to my machinist, He will be flattening out that spot on the rod journal that I messed up, and polishing the whole crank. I purchased my piston rings and ARP rod bolts from him as well, and my ctr crank pulley will be balanced their too.

My costs:

arp rod bolts $50
piston rings $50
crank polish $40
machine the rods to fit the ctr pistons, wrist pins pressed, all four $100
Balance the crankshaft pulley $FREE

Water pump, timing belt and tensioner came in today.

don't you have to worry about the valve clearance if you put ctr pistons into a lsvtec setup? I've got a lsvtec setup but I'd used b16 pistons but I was thinking about switching them for ctr pistons for higher compression...what do you have build in your head as far as cams and valve,retainers and valve springs?

whats a good range for the piston/vlave clearance to measure if i want to turn 10k rpm or slightly higher? how should i decide to run on the close end or far end of that range? is it personal preference?

say you have a lsvtec setup and redline at 7k and you want to boost your rpm up as in redline how what do I have to do to get that up?

lol, oh no, the most ive ever turned was about 6k with my 390. and i only did that cuz the tranny gave out at about 5k. I just ask cuz id like to be on the safe side when i take my engine to 9500 plus. thanks for the spec by the way.

don't you have to worry about the valve clearance if you put ctr pistons into a lsvtec setup? I've got a lsvtec setup but I'd used b16 pistons but I was thinking about switching them for ctr pistons for higher compression...what do you have build in your head as far as cams and valve,retainers and valve springs?

You can run a stock b16 head with an ls block fitted on stock rods with ctr pistons, just make sure your timing is @ 0. I have never had any problems with smashing valves, but ive had problems with cracking pistons and spinning bearings once. But that was @ 9000 rpm with itr cams.

Just got back from the machine shop with everything. I will start assembling the short block tonight when I get home from work.

I started with assembling the crankshaft back into place...

Here is the crankcase with the ACL STD Main bearings
HPIM0795.jpg

I used 5w30 motor oil to lightly lubricate the bearings (cant find the Clevite bearing guard, grrr)

HPIM0796.jpg

Carefully place the crankshaft down into the crankcase

HPIM0797.jpg

Before applying the Main caps, I lightly lubricated them as well as the bearings with 5w30 motor oil...

HPIM0798.jpg

Place caps on and evenly press downward, the Dowels should guide themselves right in...

HPIM0799.jpg

ARP Moly lube used on the Main bolt threads and washers...

HPIM0800.jpg

Hand thread-on the main bolts after evenly lubricated with arp moly lube....

HPIM0801.jpg

Torque the main bolts to 56 FT.LBS. in sequence, starting with main cap #3, than 5, than 1, than 4 and finally 2.

HPIM0802.jpg

Since I cannot get ahold of my friend Mike, who currently has my piston ring compressing tool, I cannot install the pistons/rods. Hopefully I get it tomorrow, if not monday....

Here is a pic of the ctr pistons pressed onto the pr4 (LS) rods fitted with arp 8mm rod bolts and the piston rings installed...

HPIM0803.jpg

i bought arp main bolts... i have my build thread on here somewhere.. best $125 i've spent i think.. no engine lube on the bearings??? just oil..?

i bought arp main bolts... i have my build thread on here somewhere.. best $125 i've spent i think.. no engine lube on the bearings??? just oil..?

Those are not the original main bolt's, this engine was opened up and rebuilt before, but to "somewhat" oem spec's. I measured the pitch, head and length of the bolt and it has not stretched in any way. I have Clevite bearing guard somewhere but I just cannot seem to find it so I used 5w30 motor oil (which is fine). The main bolts were cleaned and the bolt threads and washers were coated with arp moly lube before I installed them. I do have ACL race rod bearings which I will be using tomorrow when I get the ring compressor so I can put the pistons/rods back in.

sweet sweet.. i just said that cuz i pieced mine together so i used that engine assembly stuff it took me like 4 months to piece it together... but its looking good... let us know how it runs... you gonna get it tuned?

Back