Mild lsvtec buildup: how to & pics

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sweet sweet.. i just said that cuz i pieced mine together so i used that engine assembly stuff it took me like 4 months to piece it together... but its looking good... let us know how it runs... you gonna get it tuned?

Will do, video's and all after the break-in. It should be all said and done within the next couple weeks, hopefully I don't get any snow here (NJ), it will set me back since the transmission and the head are still on the b16, which is still in the hatch.

As far as the tune goes, I contacted John Vega from phearable.net and he will be chipping a p28 for my particular setup. This will be temporary, mainly until after its broken in. I plan on taking it to my local tuner, Mike Miranda for tuning @ E-Shift. He tunes with crome-pro, so that is what I will be running as far as engine management goes. Oh yea, bigger injectors as well for that tune.

sweet build I like the way you have shown pictures all along the way. one question I hear all you guys talkin about reving these oem motors up to 9000 rpms, would I be safe doing that with my d16y8?

Thank you...

Ehhh... I dont see a y8 revving past 7500 rpm. I havent been using single cams for quite some time now, so I am unsure of the redline. Bottom line as far as revving goes: stock valvetrain, stock redline. If you upgrade the cam and valvetrain component's as well as a chipped ecu (to raise the rev limit) than maybe spin it higher, but 9000 rpm is a lot for a single, but im sure it will make power with the right cam.

so far, cylinder #1 and #4 have pistons/rods...

Once I finish 2 and 3, and check the clearances I will post up the pictures...

This part I had to get do some "fab" work to cover up the rod bolt threads from damaging the journals (again) so I used zip ties to hold down the rubber caps...

HPIM0806.jpg

Rings oiled and spaced 90 degrees apart from eachother, in the piston ring compressor...

HPIM0807.jpg

Lubricated all ACL bearings, put rod caps on, hand tighted the rod bolts and a little extra with the socket wrench. Gave it a couple turns, no binding... good sign so far...

Here are some pictures of the pistons/rods assembled and installed...

HPIM0808.jpg

HPIM0809.jpg

Im beat... I will check the clearances tomorrow morning/afternoon and I will post up the results.

Rod bolts were torqued down three times, at 26 ft.lbs. Oil clearances came up perfect, off by .0001 in cylinder #3, which isn't abnormal. I bolted the windage tray back on and cleaned out the oil pickup. Waiting for the oil pump and head studs to continue.

In the meantime, I will try to start removing the head off of the b16 which is still in the car.

New water pump installed as well, today I have to get to a press so I can press the rear main seal into the housing.

informative

This thread is helping me understand the LS/VTEC better. THUMBS UP!

you might want to check you piston direction out, im pretty sure you put them in facing the wrong way.

i could be wrong but it doesn't look right and the manual doesn't lie.

Attachments

• assem005.jpg
    assem005.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:
ya u got that goind the wrong way... the IN on the pistons means intake side... i would take those out and put them back in the right way... damn that sucks....

seems like your rushing this build, you should slow down and make sure your doing things right, a simple mistake like that is what could tear your build up so get the manual out, read it, read it again and do it right.

i know the kitchen isn't the best place to build and it maybe the only place he has.

He's too busy entertaining us with his LS, hes not paying close attention to whats in front of him rather then a camera and a computer.

dude, build your LS right and people will be entertained.

ya it was looking good... god knows what would of happend if we didnt say anything....

he said he torqued the rod bolts down three times, so now you have to unbolt them and torque them again. those bolts are taking alot of abuse.

when he removes the pistons from the cylinders, he prolly going to scratch the walls, damage the crank journals again, and screw up his wonderful ACL bearings.

what a waste of money!!!!!

oh and you don't need a "press" to push in the rear main seal, take a rubber mallet to it around the edges and it goes right it. just make sure you put it in the right way. better look at the manual before you install it.

Last edited:
Back