Mini Me Head Swap questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

philyphreak2127

Back in the Game
Okay I spun a rod bearing in the d16y8 motor I swapped into my civic a while back. I have recently found an eg sedan with a rebuilt d15b7 that I was planning on buying and swapping the b7 into my car. However being the gear head I am I want more power and I happen to have a perfectly fine y8 head I can swap on the b7 block. However a few questions I was hoping to get help with:

First of all which timing belt do I use? b7? y8?

Second can I use the obd-2 harness with the p2p or should I swap in the obd-1 harness from the parts car if so what ecu would I need to run?

Third the y8 motor I have has arp head studs that the previous owner put in the motor. Could I take them out and put them into the b7 block? Or would that ruin the headstuds?

Another side question the owner of the car now mentions that he is selling the car because the cv axle continues to "pop" out of the transmission while driving. The car has lowering springs in the front and coilovers in the rear he says he thinks it is because the car is too low. I didn't think that was possible. Anyone have any ideas?

Which tranny has shorter gears the d15b7 or the d16y7 tranny?

I thank you in advance for any info you can provide me with.

I would use your y7 tranny, y8 timing belt, swap the head studs onto the b7, and a p2p will work good, i dont know what year your car is but assuming it had a y7 its a 96-00, so if its a 96-98 get a obd2a to obd1 conversion harness if 99-00 get obd2b0obd1 conversion harness then run a p28. Ide order a chipping kit from www.xenocron.com and you can tune and play with it to.

id go to phearable.net and get the ecu and the conversion harness from there thats where im gettin the ecu for my swap

i wanna say a couple of the y8 studs are different from the b7 studs but im not possitive. and im pretty sure you could use your old harness unless you wanna rewire in vtec

Last edited:
Ya he can use his stock wiring harness, im saying you can convert to obd1 with a conversion harness and chip a p28 and tune it.

Well the thing with that is I never wired vtec. Plus if the parts car thing does work (if the car doesn't sell before I have cash) couldn't I just use the obd-1 harness? Or Would the head not run correctly or something due to the lack of sensors?

By the way thanks guys I appreciate the help. So I will want to go obd-1 for sure though? Also I was thinking this might be a pretty sick turbo setup after all is said and done. was thinking about going with a t25 homemade kit. I know xenocron is a good tuner but wouldn't I want to go with crome or a dynotuner?

the only plugs that i can think off the top of my head that youll be missing would be for the pressure switch and vtec solenoid. but there could be another one on the manifold im forgetting though

So could I run the obd-1 wiring harness or should I just stick with the obd-2a harness and get the jumper harness and an obd-1 ecu with a chip?

Stick witht he obd1a harness with conversion harness, you have the 2 wire IACV already if you had a y8, you said you spun the bearing ont he y8 you swapped, now did you swap a y8 in for the y7? And when you did you converted tot he 2 wire IACV on the manifold and also at the ecu plug? And did you wire in vtec for the y8 you had before and if it was functioning the conversion harness will not only swap to the plugs that fit the obd1 ecu but it will also convert all the wiring to the proper spot. To convert to nothin but obd1 wiring harness your going to need the engine bay wiring harness adn the sub harness underneath the kick pannel that plug into the ecu.

why not just stay obd2 and use the harness from the y8? less work and less money but thats just my opinion

With the obd-2 harness on the obd-1 block there will be plugs that won't plug in correct? If it is easier to do it with the obd-2 harness I would rather do that and just rewire vtec and like zip tie it along the wiring harness with some black plastic tubing and label it in case I have to go back and fix something, to keep the wiring really clean. Any guess on how high the compression will be with this setup?

the only one i can think of would be the knock sensor. im not sure about the compression. im sure if you searched about mini-me's youd find something

Yeah I am pretty sure there are compression calculators out there. I am not sure if I should build it for boost or just run a bit higher compression and leave it all motor after the head swap.

Also if anyone wants anything from this parts car when/if I buy it $20 plus shipping for:
b7 tranny
b7 axles
body parts
any interior part
b7 head
y8 bottom end with spun rod bearing (I think) will come with oil pan tapped for turbo, all internals and most if not all pulleys
y7 bottom end with bad piston rings (I was told) (pistons and rods taken out)
y7 pistons and rods
y7 oil pump
y7 oil pan
y7 intake manifold w/injectors, and stock air filter assembly
b7 intake manifold w/injectors, tb, fuel rail, stock air filter assembly
any brake component
any suspension part
the ebay header w/ downpipe from my civic (will sell full exhaust including 2" dynomax cat for $50 plus shipping.)
stock exhaust manifold from either b7 or y7 I haven't decided which to keep yet.
stock exhaust piping from my civic with exhaust tip
May sell the guages from the 98 civic

I don't really care how much I get for the parts on this car so if you want something send me an offer and I will be more than happy to hear it. I figure if someone can put it to use I want it to be used. Car will be headed to scrap yard less than a month after it is bought and stripped. Anything on the above list that isn't bought will be tossed in car and sent to the junkyard with it.

I plan on stripping the car of everything I want and I will make a more specific list of stuff I keep for myself in a week or so. If you are interested in anything and if this goes through like it should I will grab that part for you as well and ship it out to you. I only accept paypal.

Last edited:
well unfortunely that deal fell through. I do still have a ton of parts for sale however. But I also have a question. Could I swap my y8 head onto a d17a1 block and run the p2p ecu for the y8 motor or is the d17a1 obd2b and the y8 obd2a?

Back