1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mini me swap questions

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by Bobby17772, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Bobby17772

Bobby17772 New Member

hey guys I just picked up a mini me swap, a y7 bottom with a z6 head. And I've got a few questions to get it put together before I swap it in (in 2 weeks or so).

1 I've heard that I should use all y7 head studs/bolts and one z6 stud/bolt is this correct?

2 Which head gasket should I get one for the y7 or one for the z6?

3 seeing that I'm getting an adjustable cam gear should I just zero it out and would it run fine? Because I've heard that it's half a tooth difference (4.5 degrees)

4 what screws should I use for the vtec solenoid? Because right now it's only got one in it and the top can slide back and fourth....unless it's supposed to.

and finally number 5, would a stock p28 ecu be able to run it with out any problems? like no need for a major tune (although it couldn't hurt)

but any and all help would be very much appreciated

thanks!

2. Bobby17772

Bobby17772 New Member

...anyone?

3. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

1 I've heard that I should use all y7 head studs/bolts and one z6 stud/bolt is this correct?

from what i found:
    you will need 9 y7 bolts and 1 z6 bolt.
    The bolt that goes by the vtec solenoid needs to be a longer bolt (z6 bolt)

2 Which head gasket should I get one for the y7 or one for the z6?

z6 or y8 (y8 is a thinner metal gasket and yields a higher CR)

3 seeing that I'm getting an adjustable cam gear should I just zero it out and would it run fine? Because I've heard that it's half a tooth difference (4.5 degrees)

this is really more of a concern when using a 1.5 block
    put the block at TDC then set the cam at TDC and all should be fine

4 what screws should I use for the vtec solenoid? Because right now it's only got one in it and the top can slide back and fourth....unless it's supposed to.

:huh: huh?? no, its not supposed to flop around

and finally number 5, would a stock p28 ecu be able to run it with out any problems? like no need for a major tune (although it couldn't hurt)

yes a P28 will run it fine

4. Bobby17772

Bobby17772 New Member

alright thanks man. for question number 4 I was talking about about the 3 screws that hold the top of the solenoid to well...the bottom part

5. tabKola

tabKola New Member

Majestic Honda calls them bolt, flange (6x30), part number 95701-06030-08. List price is $0.98 each so probably 6 or 7 dollars at the dealership for all 3, assuming huge dealership markup.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  6. mikesleepercivic

mikesleepercivic New Member

From past experances, the z6 headgasket seemed to work better. It also depends on what you plan to do to the motor in the future.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted