Mini-me Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

kidfrost

my friend has a 90 crix si. he was talking about doing the swap, but we are not sure whats needed. now, i have another friend that did the swap already, but it fried his distributor. he used a 92-95 head. i was told that you need the 96-99 d16 from the civic ex.
my question is what head do i use? what ecu cuz it would be going from non obd to obd1. i thought about the jdm b16, but thats a dohc and this is a sohc. how many wires would have to be ran for vtec? or a knock sensor?
all help would be appreciated.
thanks
john

Dont know about a crix, just throw a b16 into it, a 90 CRX is OBD1 isnt it? If its the same OBD on the ECU it wont be incredibly difficult. oh and did you read the FAQ

b16 will cost too much. for the full change over and mounts. hes set on the mini-me swap. just unsure of a few things. hopefully you guys can help.

Originally posted by IDMaxGuy@Jun 14 2003, 07:36 PM
Dont know about a crix, just throw a b16 into it, a 90 CRX is OBD1 isnt it? If its the same OBD on the ECU it wont be incredibly difficult. oh and did you read the FAQ

92-95 is OBD1

All USDM CRXs are non-OBD. I guess you didn't read the FAQ or references, huh?

You can use an OBD head- just use your stock distributor and the stock sensors. You don't have to change your ECU unless you don't want to use anything external to activate VTEC. VTEC hookup should only take 4 wires.

I plan to use a VAFC for tuning and VTEC activation on my CRX- that way I don't have to do any kind of OBD conversion.

You can use either the 92-95 D16Z6 head or the 96-00 D16Y8 head. The Y8 will give you slightly higher compression, but the Z6 head flows better. You can NOT use a B16 head. The B series and D series engines have almost zero interchangeable parts.

Search the net for mini-me setups- you'll find quite a bit of information about them if you just bust Google for a few minutes.

thanks for the help. my friend used the 92-95 D16Z6 head and he fried his distributor. is there anything else that needs to be done. some one told me that you need to wire a knock sensor, use a 92-95 d16 head gasket, pull the oil jet, and use a 92-95 timing belt. he also said that u need a PR3 or PWO ecu. any of this true? sorry if these are dumb questions, but i dont know that much on hondas. im trying to help my friend out cuz he doesnt have the net. i read over the side and i tried to find info on it. read alot of the posts. you guys seem to know what ur talking about so i figured you could help.
thanks
john

Those, I don't really know for sure. You might try looking off-site... there's a lot of mini-me info out there, away from HondaSwap.

Back