mini me swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tylerf1000

I was just wondering about these swaps
my bro has a 89 crx, d15
and i have a 91 civic si d16a6 that i am going to be taking out, to put a b series in
can i just swap heads and give him the d16 head to put on a d15 block??
Would i have to swap anything else to the d15 or just the head??
what kinda power increase should i expect??

Well it wouldnt really be considered a mini me.Normally a mini me is a sohc non-vtec block with a sohc vtec head.The head will bolt on with no problems.Also you could just go ahead to do a mpfi swap and that will give you a good power gain.However just by putting the a6 head on your probably not going to get very much of a power increase if any.

what year and kinda civic has the v-tec sohc head??
What kinda gains would i get putting it on the d16a6
What kinda gains would i get putting it on the d15 block??

you can either use the d16z6 from 92-95 ex or si hatch,or the d16y8 from a 96-98 ex.You can get pretty good gains from a sohc vtec head swap.Just make sure his crx is converted to mpfi.

well if you use a a6 head... the difference is the cam and that its multi point fuel injection (4 injectors insted of 2), also the distributor has 1 extra sensor (2 more wires)! SO just swap out the cam and convert to mpfi
OR....
1)If you want to do a mini-me use a y8 head from a 96-00civic ex because the ef distributors will bolt right up so you wont have to switch over to obd1....If you do it that way just add a rpm switch or vtec controller to control vtec! a little ghetto but hey it works and its cheap.
2) If money is not problem switch over to obd1 and mpfi. get a p28 and get any sohc-v head.

Either way you'll have fun with wiring! :suprised:

power wise:thumbsup:... like jdm d15b vtec
b16 with one cam!

Last edited:
adding a "vtec switch" isnt gonna do anything except make you run lean.If your going to want vtec to actually work and do what its supposed to do then your going to need to convert to obd1 and run a p28.When you add a vtec switch all your doing is putting power to the solenoid which isnt doing anything good,your going to need to run a p28 because it will change your timing,add fuel and all that good stuff you wouldnt be getting from a switch when in vtec.

mini swap

i just put a 98 dx motor into my 94 dx hatch and i was wondering what exactly do i need to make the y8 head run right. if there is anybody who knows please reply

alrite i been thinking about doing the swap too.. right now i have a 95 honda civic dx, and i also have a d16z6, i have all the vtec stuff to come with it but where can i find a p28 and how much would it cost to actually do the mini me swap? pm me

ooh and is the mini me better than just a rebuilt d16z6? pm plz

P28s usually got for around $125 shipped. Look in classified ad's and on eBay. Don't pay more than this price for a virgin (unchipped) P28.

Better is a highly subjective term. You'll rev faster with the D15 block because of the shorter stroke but you'll also lose displacement and low end torque, but you'll have a slightly higher compression than a Z6 so it might even out. Personally, I'd just drop the Z6 longblock in.

After get the ecu do i have to get new wirer harness or any to put it on my d16a6???

Back