Mini me vs ls/vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mikeyg323

Ok so for a stock 2000 Civic CX hatch auto, I've been thinking of doing either a mini me swap (y7/y8) or going ls/vtec. My goals with this car are to keep it n/a and a d/d. Will I be satisfied with using the y7 block, y8 head, intake mani, TB, fuel rail and injectors, i/h/e? My goals are around 230hp. I want to be able to beat my friends stock '93 Prelude 5spd w/ intake and exhaust.

edit: I know that my car is auto, I am still researching on the auto to manual conversion. I am just trying to decide if it is worth it or not. I have $4,500 in the bank. Thanks all for your opinions!

Last edited:
if you want to beat your boys prelude, then ur gonna need a GSR 5speed in your hatch, that is the only honda that could stand up to my H22 (from a 93 prelude) in my 91 Accord, and even in long runs by the end of third gear i'd usually catch up and pass them...

100% stock motor with intake only.

Yah, there is no way you are going to make 230 whp with the type of mini-me you would be doing. That's a stretch for an LS/Vtec too. Why not turbo LS? Stock LS, 8 lbs, good tune, easy 200 whp...You could do that, realistically, for $3000-$4000

Last edited:
Anything beyond stock requires upkeep. Theres a guy on T-I that did an n/a GSR and had problems with it.

would have to agree w/blanc on that one. however, being the instigator that i am, if you want shit on your boys 93 lude you can definiely do that for 4500 or less. b18b1 swaps can be found for 1000-1200 usually picked up. use the remaining 3000 on a nice little boost setup, tuned w/crome, and a clutch, in that little cx hatch:D. dude, you'll be OWNING that prelude. he'll have to boost his car if he wants to be competitive

pick up like a GSR swap if you can find an ITR tranny even better - basic bolt ons intake/header/exhaust and such get a decent lightweight wheel - hell I am a firm believer in lightweight flywheels around 11 lbs. at least a stage 2 clutch and call it good - you should be able to pull him without spending a fortune then if not you got issues - cx hatch is light as hell and GSR is a strong motor

or get a z6 and turbo it. plain and simple.

Yep, look in the faqs to see how much his lude weighs. I think a basic bolt on gsr in a civic would give that lude run for its money.

I don't know about anyone else, but I think that's about as lame as it gets. "I need to spend $4500 to prove that my dick's bigger than my friends!" Seriously, get over it. If you want a fast car, do it for yourself because there will always be a faster car on the road...always. People who build their cars to prove points to other people are the ones who have "getting out of the game" sales.

I do want to do it for myself, I'm just using the Prelude's performance to set the bar; something to aim for (performance wise).

So how much would it cost to do an auto to manual swap? My friend can help me with the engine swap but he has never done an auto to manual swap before and neither have I. I dont think I would want to trust myself with that task.

My sister has a '92 teg just sitting in the garage.. with the b18a..she don't drive it no more. Is there anything on there I could use on the D16Y7? Or is her teg too old? Just to use temporarily, until I can find a decent b18b1 or zc or b18c1.

So how much would it cost to do an auto to manual swap? My friend can help me with the engine swap but he has never done an auto to manual swap before and neither have I. I dont think I would want to trust myself with that task.

My sister has a '92 teg just sitting in the garage.. with the b18a..she don't drive it no more. Is there anything on there I could use on the D16Y7? Or is her teg too old? Just to use temporarily, until I can find a decent b18b1 or zc or b18c1.

if you do the work yourself, the at-mt conv will cost what you spend on the parts. i fur sayin that u can take anything off ur sisters car, well, fuck! ur in business! buy an ek b series mount kit, and swap away. then spend the 4500 you have as your budget money on a bottom end and make that cx shit on corvettes! either way, with that shell's curb weight of 2319lbs vs the lude's 2882lbs, you dont need to make as much power to be faster. swap it or boost it, either way youll have the upper hand

$4500 will get your sohc turbocharged, fuel system, engine management and will most likely beat your buddies prelude and might cover the auto to manual conversion as well. Or, you can purchase a gsr swap for about what you have, but then you need to pay to have it installed. Either way, let a proffesional do the work correctly. Good luck.

if you do the work yourself, the at-mt conv will cost what you spend on the parts. i fur sayin that u can take anything off ur sisters car, well, fuck! ur in business! buy an ek b series mount kit, and swap away. then spend the 4500 you have as your budget money on a bottom end and make that cx shit on corvettes! either way, with that shell's curb weight of 2319lbs vs the lude's 2882lbs, you dont need to make as much power to be faster. swap it or boost it, either way youll have the upper hand

Well, her car was bought with a rebuilt engine and it's in the +200,000km area. My motor has about 140,000km. I don't know if I want her whole engine in my car, but maybe the discs brakes or intake manifold or something? Cars are not the same obd...

dude if you have a car like that sitting there rip the motor out and swap that in. give your sister like $700-$900 for the car if she doesn't drive it anymore that gives you almost everything you need. There might be a lot of miles on the motor but if it is cheap then you can replace some stuff and have a good running swap. I say buy that thing, rip out the motor, tranny, ecu, axles, if it has the rear disc brakes take those too, then after you have taken everything of value out of the car scrap the shell you could probably get around $200 for it. Swap that thing into your car swap, that head, get an intake, header, exhaust and tune the ecu. You should put out good enough power to make your cx fly.

Dude. Just buy a euro-spec legend. Then your dick will be bigger. Until he gets a better car. Then you get a better car. Then he gets a better car. Then you get a better car. Then he laughs because you're filing for chapter 11.

Well, her car was bought with a rebuilt engine and it's in the +200,000km area. My motor has about 140,000km. I don't know if I want her whole engine in my car, but maybe the discs brakes or intake manifold or something? Cars are not the same obd...

Why don't you just trade cars with her? Then you'd be starting with an OBD1 B-series engine and four wheel disk brakes, no swapping necessary. Rebuild the motor and boost it. Done.

I'd advice against trying to take stuff off of her car and swap it to yours. Then you'll be left with an Integra shell that's not useful to anyone...

Why don't you just trade cars with her? Then you'd be starting with an OBD1 B-series engine and four wheel disk brakes, no swapping necessary. Rebuild the motor and boost it. Done.

I'd advice against trying to take stuff off of her car and swap it to yours. Then you'll be left with an Integra shell that's not useful to anyone...

Her car is a 4dr automatic :confused: And it's a '92.
My civic is a '00 and I've done minor things to it like i/e and headlights, gauge cluster, sound system, alarm/starter combo, tinted my windows, etc. I dunno. Her car is pretty cool but it's still an automatic. If it was standard I would seriously consider it.

Buy the car from your sister. Part everything the car out except for the motor itself. Also sell the head. After you have completely sold everything of value you from the car, sell the shell to a scrap yard after all that is said and done, take your time collecting the parts you need for an auto to manual conversion, the gsr or b16 head, and go pay to have that stuff dropped in. Whatever money you have left you can use to buy cams, header, exhaust, intake manifold, stuff like that. you will have a fairly quick swap just with those parts.

Back