Mini-me

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

1sikef

I have a few questions on a mini me swap, ive done them before:
ok with a d15b7 block, which head would be better for it a Y8 or a Z6, one of my friends had timing issues on his b2/y8 mini me so my ? is, will i have timing issues with the heads and which would be a better mini-me
any opinions are appreciated

With a y8 head you'll have a slightly higher compression ratio than a z6, however y8 heads don't flow as well as the z6, (quench area designed to ward off detonation a little better but don't flow as well) so its a toss up, whatever is easier to get a hold of i guess. With a b7/z6 I think the cam timing is off 4.5 degrees, can't remember if youi have to advance or retard, im doin a b7/z6 now and I need to know the same thing.

true yeah i haver both head's, i think im going to do b7/z6, i just need to know i\f the timing will be any teeth or and by the way when you say the cam timing will be of by 4.5 degrees, so u mean advancing/retarding the cam by moving it a couple teeth?

moving it a tooth will put your timing about 9 degrees too advanced or retarded, since there are 39 or so teeth on a stock z6 cam gear (360/39). You really need an adjustable cam gear to properly dial in that extra half tooth adjustment. What you dont want to happen is be that one tooth off, start it up runs ok, crack vtec for the first time and have your intake valve nail the piston, idk how close the tollorences are id think youl be ok, what will probably happen is when you have the z6 head on and try to line up all the timing marks, they mite be slightly off, like a half tooth. Im going to swap to a z6 head in an hour or two once it cools down. Im going to leave my adjustable gear set to 0 and if it looks a little off ill adjust accordingly and let you know. Hope this helps, unless uve swapped the head allready.

correction-----> moving it a tooth will put it almost 20 degrees off cuz the crank rotates twice for every one cam revolution.

Last edited:
and now that i think about it some more if one tooth is 20 degrees 4.5 will be 1/4 tooth, so your marks will still line up, just ever so slightly off, some people report b7/z6 mini me's pulling less or harder than a strait up z6, and this could be the reason why.

idk if uve done it allready but wen the timing is all "lined" up, everything is 1/4 tooth to retarded... lol makes me nervous cuz its closing the exhaust and opening the intake later, but i did notice that the pm3 pistons sit well below the deck and they also have pretty big valve reliefs so i think everything be ok. Im going to finish it later tonite.

Back