mini running poorly..help needed!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i just took the head back off, new headgasket, and this time used stuff called indian head sealer...and made sure my block AND head were both in TDC before putting the head back on the block, then i slipped the timing belt back on, tightened it all down, and put the p28 ecu in it, and i have not wired up my vtec yet. it started first hit, ran good, but idle was hunting ONLY a lil bit, in the 1200-1800 range..but ran good and smooth, revved good and fast...THEN i decided to turn the car off, and put the radiator on, since i hadnt done this yet, i was tryna make it run first lol so i got the radiator on, added coolant, and started the car up, continued adding coolant, til full. got new radiator cap and put on, old one was no venting, seemed stuck. i got in the car, started it up, and it ran good, idled a lil rough @800rpms, so i go under the hood, and revved the car, around 3-4k it started sputtering and throwing flames out of the donut gasket on the header!!! and would not rev over 3-4k at all...the simplest way to put it so that i can explain what it SOUNDS like?? id have to say from experience, it sounded like i was trying to use a obd2 ecu, obd0 dizzy, and obd1 injectors or something lol if u know what i mean...i need help trying to solve this issue badly...all help and imput or suggestions would help greatly, cuz i cant find anything on here about my problem, or anywhere on the web for that matter..

you need a 4 wire o2 sensor for a p28 ecu.
what distributor are you using?
sounds like timing issues, and you probably have at least one CEL.

im using the 4 wire o2 sensor that was on my car when i hgot it..its plugged into my dc header, and to the wiring harness. also, im using my z6 dizzy that was already in my z6 head...i pulled all these parts off my perfect running parts car thats wrecked, so i know none of the parts are defective...
cel codes are code 19 and code 21...i kno i got the code 19 cuz the p28 is for a auto and i have a 5spd. i believe the code 21 is because i still havent hooked up the vtec to my ecu...but from past experience, neither of those codes would be causing my car to run like this...if it matters, i jst swapped this head onto my block...do i need to bleed the engine of air? ive been told it sounds like the motor is full of air...which makes no sense to me

Last edited:
Back