Mini Vtec (vtec not kicking in)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ashpack

Hey everyone,
This is my first post but il probably be posting alot more if i get this car.
My mates got a vtec mini hes had it for years since he was young the cars had loads of work done to it fibreglass shell ect and the vtec from a crx was professionly fitted.
He now wants to sell it and im thinking of buying it as i can get it quite cheap and wouldnt mind take it up the quarter mile at USC this year. Its been sat up for a good few years theyve been getting it running again over the past couple of weeks and now its all ready to go apart from thge vtec not kicking in.

I have not been to look at the car yet im going this weekend i just thought id try and get abit of info on what it could be and how expensive it may be to fix as its in a mini im guessing the engines not great to work on. Il probably have abit more info about what it could be once iv seen it but any suggestions would be great? Many thanks

By "VTEC Mini" I assume you mean it's a "Mini-Me", i.e. a non-VTEC D-series block fitted with a VTEC head?

As for the VTEC not working...

How are you sure that it's not working? VTEC shouldn't be abrupt like a shot of nitrous. It should be a smooth transition. Is there an ECU code being displayed?

depending on what block you're using, did you take out the oil jet that's in the block?

The CRX never had VTEC.

Don't buy someone's problem. For $500 you can get a low mile JDM D15 VTEC and put it in whatever car you want.

Back