Minor Problems After Ls/turbo Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

as im aware, there are two types of boost controllers (excluding the manual boost controller).. solenoids and stepping motors..there are two types of solenoids, single and dual.. solenoids act like a switch in the wastegate.. when the desaired boost as been reached, the excess exhaust energy is dumped out via the atm. or through a cat... the stepping motors are like climate control systems.. it continuously monitor manifold pressure and adjust accordingly to maintain stable and linear boost increases expelling excess exhaust..also, there are two ways boost controllers work.. fuzzy logic and manual.. controllers with fuzzy logic mean it has to learn the charateristics of your turbo.. so you have to find somewhere where u can go wot till about 3 gear or so until it beeps and "learns" your boost charateristics.. so once you get a boost controller, you can turn down the boost via the b.c... but this is what ive been told so if its wrong, be my guess and school me.. :worthy:

with the manual boost controller, its a piece of metal that you put onto your wastegate.. when u turn the screw it either way, it changes the wastegate's spring tension or something like that, so when your desired boost is reached its dumped out via external or internal wastegate..

JDMFreak, I knew there was a way to retain air conditioning and power steering on a 6th gen (96-00) civic. I guess the guys who worked on my car were too lazy or didn't know how. They told me that they couldn't do it. Do you know what your friend used or did to retain power steering? What kind of power steering pump did he use and which bracket? Can you ask your friend?

Also, I noticed that my engine is smelling kinda weird like something is burnt? It's not too overbearing but you can notice the smell. My engine hasn't been making any weird sounds or anything. Is this bad or normal? I've been pretty good about driving under 3 RPM and keeping it below 4 RPM. I'm getting worried. :unsure:

I have a Greddy turbo type TD05H-18G, solreaver.

:lol: That's funny, liquidmeth.

Has anyone every swapped a b18b motor into their 6th(96-00) generation civic? If so, what ECU are you running? I heard that the USDM LS ecu doesn't work.

You know what? I just realized something. Greddy kits come with a Fuel Management Unit and it's installed in my car. I have a Greddy SI turbo kit bolted on an LS Motor with an SI ECU piggybacked with the Greddy Fuel Management Unit. Am I fine with this setup for awhile? Any advice, insight?

Originally posted by MarkJimenez99@Apr 11 2003, 06:53 PM
You know what? I just realized something. Greddy kits come with a Fuel Management Unit and it's installed in my car. I have a Greddy SI turbo kit bolted on an LS Motor with an SI ECU piggybacked with the Greddy Fuel Management Unit. Am I fine with this setup for awhile? Any advice, insight?

that should be fine for less than 8 psi

:D Thanks guys for the the help and the info. I learned a lot. So I guess this means that I can boost whenever I want to with my setup, right? I'm going to eventually do something about the si ecu in a couple months so my engine light will go away and my idle is back to normal.

Back