Mint 84 Prelude needs engine makeover

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

67spyder

I've got an 84 prelude that I built for my wife and then handed down to my step son. The only problem with the car is the twin CV carbs, I rebuilt them about 5 years ago with help from a buddy who is a Honda bike mechanic (those carbs are very close to what is on older GoldWings). They worked OK after the rebuild but never great. After breaking a tbelt and replacing the head the car has never made the power that it used to I think because it took about 8 months plus the car sits unused for long periods the carbs are getting gummed up.

My step son and I have decided something needs to be done and have tossed about 3 different options. I was hoping that I could get some input/suggestions:

1. buy/build manifold to install a single weber side draft carb (I have carbs and experience tuning them)
2. Use a MegaSquirt to build an EFI system
3. Swap in a newer better engine (we have a government run insurance system so there is easy access to complete wrecks for a donor) I am not against swapping in a non honda motor if it makes sense.

Regina, SK. Canada

I forgot to mention, we are not going for huge power just better drivability. If an extra 50hp happens, good.

I have an Aveo wreck with 6000Kms (4000Mi) on it but that would be disrespecful to put a Daewoo motor in a Honda, especially such a nice one.

A18A Engine swap

That chart looks great but doesn't go back far enough. My prelude is a 2nd Gen (84) with an A18A engine

Back