Mirage Timing Issues

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TurboMirage

That’s how you get ants
VIP
ok guys, i changed out my cam seal saturday. ive changed out tons of the cam and crank seals on little SOHC motors. in fact, 2 days before i did the seals waterpump and timing belt on an 89 tercel.

welp i go to start the car,and it just cranks. i know i didnt move anything timing-wise. doesnt make sense. nothing is off, ive even tried moving the distributor and its set for the stock location.

top it all off, i missed autocross. the girlfriend in the 240sx has been bringing me to work all week.

this is where i left off sunday, after cleaning EVERYTHING.
cleaned%20up.JPG

dmitri and i replaced the plugs, the spark sucked. we re-set the timing again. still just cranks. i have spark, i have air, and i have fuel.

tuesday, bought a compression tester. tested it on the 240sx and it was great - but i have ZERO compression in any cylinder.

thursday, i rotated the cam 180 degrees. heard clicking, so i put it back.

sucks... any help would be appreciated. the head is an interrupt head. everything is the same as a D15b7 except i have an internal coil.

maybe i JUST purchased a 4g63t.......

Originally posted by TurboMirage@Oct 8 2004, 01:09 AM
maybe i JUST purchased a 4g63t.......
[post=399890]Quoted post[/post]​

i told you to do that 123 months ago.

but theres no such thing as a 4g63t

its not a nissan. they don't denote turbo motor cars with a T at the end :0

wtf are you talking about?

the internals of the 4g63 and 4g63t are different.... one coudlnt run with a turbo bolted on, and the other couldnt run without the turbo.

4G63Ts are real.

Anyway, I just went through this with the 4Runner. Didn't want to run regardless of anything.

Airjockie, Jeff, Jack, Myself... we all carefully examined timing and approved it. Went elsewhere for answers.

Air and I even tried the cam in the neighboring 2 gear teeth, still.. no results.

It was off a tooth. I had an aircraft engineer and friend of mine, my dad and I figure it out yesterday. It's still a mystery to me. We took the cover off and all 3 observed that the timing marks were dead on. Decided it was opening the exhaust valve too quickly, and slipped it back a tooth. When we did, and got everything back together, the timing marks STILL lined up, but the chain was visibly off one tooth. Together and now it runs.

It's this really strange dynamic with SOHC motors. My dad and my friend understand it, I still don't.

-> Steve

steve, id give that a shot, but.... ive already got everything except for the head disconnected.

Originally posted by pheonixb16aguy@Oct 18 2004, 07:34 AM
your timing is off .. double check it ..aslo like mentioned you might be jumpin teeth
[post=404044]Quoted post[/post]​

where have you been? lol

6 bent valves. :lol:

oh sorry. time for an update. i cant believe im doing this shit by myself.

got the head off, ordered new valve cover gasket, headgasket, 12 valve seals so far. going to port the head and get it tanked, new 3-angle valve grind. fuck i may as well pull the block apart and put new rings in.

well, with all this shit i may as well forget the 4g63t. fuck it. ive got 1/2 the parts for 1.5T anyways... so much money into this little car... ugh.

the head is going to the shop monday... along with whatever number of new valves they tell me i need.

Back