Misc. start up issues

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Mulepick

Started the H22a for the first time today (replaced F22a6). Good news is that I rebuilt the engine OK and no pistons slammed into valves or anything. It starts right up but idles v high (2500rpm). I get codes 6, 7, and 21; so I'll be looking hard at the Coolant Temp Sensor, TPS, and VTEC solenoid. The TPS code clears but the other two don't. I then start it up and get all codes again. Good news, I guess, is that the motor hasn't kicked into dummy mode yet.

One thing I could use is some instructions about how to resolve the differences in vacuume port size and location from the F22 to the H22. Still haven't matched everything up.

Any advice appreciated. I'm too close to see the trees. I started working on a starter problem that turned out to be that I hadn't bolted the flex plate to the torque converter. DE DE DEE

Bob

hmm... I guess I dont understand exactly what your talking about. The reason your idling high probably has to do with the coolant and tps throwing errors, or you could just need to turn the idle screw down.

I'm guessing your not sure if you routed your vacuum lines right? If you'd like I can take a pic of mine for you too show were they route, should be same on a 93 but I'll check on that.

hmm... I guess I dont understand exactly what your talking about. The reason your idling high probably has to do with the coolant and tps throwing errors, or you could just need to turn the idle screw down.

I'm guessing your not sure if you routed your vacuum lines right? If you'd like I can take a pic of mine for you too show were they route, should be same on a 93 but I'll check on that.

Yes. I am not sure of all the vacuum lines. I don't know if photos of your Gen 5 would help but I'd be happy to look at them.

Reattached the TPS and cleared one code. Still coding 6 & 21, the engine temp sensor and the VTEC solenoid. There are so many temp sensors on the engine (3 plus the extra one I put in for a gauge) that I'm not sure which one is coding. Behind the thermostat or toward the front of the block?

I'll just recheck the VTEC solenoid wiring at the plug; pretty sure that's where the prob is.

Engine no longer idles high. I think the TPS prob cleared this up but I also detached both throttle cables. I still get an idle at about 1100, high for a warm engine.

Tks,

Bob

did you put your accord waterneck on the h22? or did you leave the h22 one on there?

did you put your accord waterneck on the h22? or did you leave the h22 one on there?

put the Accord on; total of 3 coolant sensors.

I'm most concerned now about how to trouble shoot the tranny in the absence of a D4 light to blink the tranny codes. Anyone??

Bob

Back