Misfire Cel

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

randerson165

I have 3 CEL codes related to misfire. It is misfire on cylinder 3, misfire on cylinder 4, and multiple misfire. I also have a "too rich" CEL and a "Idle Air" CEL on. I'm pretty sure I need to replace the IACV and my timing is advanced so I think that has to do with the running rich, but the honda guys said that timing has little to do with a misfire code. They think it would be more of a crank sensor or something.

How do I troubleshoot this ?

check teh obvious things first. dizzy cap, plug wires, plugs. i've had the cel twice, both times it was a plug wire.

i was getting the codes 71, 72, 73, and 74 (misfiring on all cylinders) the other day then i went out to start it and it would just crank but not turn on. so i took the diz cap off and looked at the rotor. it was pretty covered in a white powder so i hit it up with some sandpaper and everything was cool after that.

::edit::
took the car out today and they came back. :angry: . what the hell would cause it to misfire when i get on it? i just replaced the plugs and wires last weekend.

what car/engine do u have. i have a 93 EX with a d16y7 in it. sometimes on the highway, my check engine light will come on, and it'll begin to bogg down, and when im trying to accelerate from a stop wit that CEL, it'll wanna stall out. where did you find your diagnosis plug in. mine is suppose to be by the ECU, but it isnt there..another friend said it is suppose to be by the fuse box under tha driver side dash, but it isnt there...where did u find yours???

Originally posted by jastunna1987@Nov 23 2004, 08:00 PM
what car/engine do u have. i have a 93 EX with a d16y7 in it. sometimes on the highway, my check engine light will come on, and it'll begin to bogg down, and when im trying to accelerate from a stop wit that CEL, it'll wanna stall out. where did you find your diagnosis plug in. mine is suppose to be by the ECU, but it isnt there..another friend said it is suppose to be by the fuse box under tha driver side dash, but it isnt there...where did u find yours???
[post=421465]Quoted post[/post]​

i have a 99 ex and my service plug is a two wire plug next to the ecu. but as for my misfire problem it came back on the way to school today. i changed the cap and rotor the other day and took it for a test drive and it was running perfect. i took it on the freeway and ran it pretty hard and no CEL but today it came on just while i was at about 3.5k. i thought it was fixxed but now i have no fucking clue.

i have a d16Y8/turbo only running about 4 psi until i get this misfire issue taken care of.

If I inspect the cap and rotor, what do I look for to find out if its in "BAD" condition ? I don't wanna replace the dizzy or any of the parts unless I know that something is wrong...

Back