Mixed up my rocker arms uh oh

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vwfox361

About a year ago i picked up a gsr head missing the cams and valve train as i planned to use it on my b20 later. The rocker arms came all mixed up in a bag which i later came to find was a BIG no no. Since then i managed to pick up a 2000 si valve train and cams with 26,xxx miles on them.

SOO heres the million dollar question....is there any way to help this problem without buying new rocker arms. I am a poor college student looking for cheap vtec thrills.

Seems like the biggest problem would be with the rocker arm that the vtec lobe sits on. The others should be ok as i can adjust the lash on them.

Is there any way to measure wear on the rocker arms? To the human eyeball they all look to be in tip top shape.

Could i get away with using the semi fresh b16 cams and adjust lash 4-5 times in the first xxx miles and change oil often and early?

What would be worst case scenario if i used the b16 cams and valvetrain and my rocker amrs were actually badly worn?

This motor will never see past 8200rpm with this stock set up.

Best regards,
B20 he whishes he had vtec Mike........:ph34r:

bump indeeed i got a respone on another forum guy said as long as the vtec pins on the rockers work i shouldnt have ne problems with my vtec enaging which seems to be one of the main problems when people do this.....no vtec

More Feedback!!!!!!

hmm. crap. my vtec's not wired up and i don't have diddly shit for a history on the armchair mechanic's GSR swap in my new project car. of course, now i'm thinking obviously it must be because my rockers are fuxxord too and dude knew it. :D

in for read eeeeeven more now. bump for the knowledgeable. c'mon!

If the rocker arms are indeed badly worn, you should be able to tell visually. Is the contact area on the arms worn down flat real bad? Run your finger across the arm. Can you feel a deep worn in indention? If not you shouldnt have any problems using that setup as long as everything is put together correctly. If the head is quite during operation I would say everything is good to go. Adjust the valve lash after a few hundred miles or so. Mixing up the rocker arms is bad practice. But not as critical as mixing up a main or cam cap. I have seen people use a mixed bag of rockers with no problems several times.

Last edited:
Although i've never had a V-tec head, I've used rockers from other motors and even 'spares' that visually were the same for decades. From the Older EB's (1200's) to the early 90's.
What has worked well for me was a scotch-brite wheel on my grinder and polished the grooves smooth in a cross/X motion. The color of the wheel is an orange/red. Not sure of the grit.
Now you have to think for yourself, are the grooves too deep? Find a different one.
The follower pad/hardening is only so thick. So don't go crazy polishing. If you see a color change (like grinding through paint to primer) you just ruined it.
I've done this for years/decades and never had an issue.
B U T.. If the cam/followers are grooved, the rocker shafts are also. Sometimes the shafts wear at the towers and you won't get a precise measuerment at the lash adjuster, creating a endless adjustment headache.
Last time I purchased a shaft was about 10yrs ago and was 85.00 for a D15 motor. So that's not that bad.

Just my .02.

E

If the rocker arms are indeed badly worn, you should be able to tell visually. Is the contact area on the arms worn down flat real bad? Run your finger across the arm. Can you feel a deep worn in indention? If not you shouldnt have any problems using that setup as long as everything is put together correctly. If the head is quite during operation I would say everything is good to go. Adjust the valve lash after a few hundred miles or so. Mixing up the rocker arms is bad practice. But not as critical as mixing up a main or cam cap. I have seen people use a mixed bag of rockers with no problems several times.

Ran my fingers across all the arms felt great no deep indentions! they look to be very smooth and none have been worn flat in any areas.

kinda off topic but what are yalls thoughts on running rs high compression pistons on stock b16 or gsr cams?

here is my b20 vtec build.......

gsr head with type r springs and new itr lma's
replace all seals and gaskets
arp head studs and rod bolts
acl rod bearings
new mls head gasket
obd2 gsr water and oil pump
new gsr timing belt
b20b block with rs itr pistons and rings
Kms shot peen rods
Kms 68 mm ported tb and port matched stock gsr mani
hone cylinders