Mobile Phone buying

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Battle Pope

The service is AT&T GSM because that's what works best in my area.

Samsung vs. Nokia vs. Motorola

Samsung:
http://www.samsungusa.com/cgi-bin/nabc/pro...rod_id=SGH-V206

Looks like a good phone. Does it do mp3 rings though?

Nokia:
I have a 3650 right now. Great reception and battery life, but no real features. All of Nokia's phones that have any sort of feature sets are fuckin ugly or have shitty battery life.

Motorola:
http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bin/ncomm...fnbr=1&zipcode=

Does everything but make coffee. And it's cool looking. I hear Motorolas have less than stellar reception though.

-So, I am looking for a phone that has a color screen, a camera (because I don't have one and I'm too poor to buy one that I want.), does mp3 and midi ringtones, and other nifty things a technophile would like. Recommendations? Bashings? Out with it!

EDIT: I'd also like it to have Bluetooth or some other way to connect to my compy. WAP is good too.

Nokias suck... i have had the 5160, 3300 and the 3595 and they all suck. I have had the motorola t720 and v400. T720 sucked and the v400 was good to me. The camera was decent and u can make your own ringtones and i never had a problem with service. Now But gsm is coming out for nextel soon maybe you should wait for that. Sometime in early spring. They will have a gsm signal for the new i930. Imo bad ass phone. Google it for pics. But if i were you honestly look into nextel. They have great plans , cool new phones and walkie talkie. I am satisfied with my motorola i830. I have reception everywhere and the full color display is crisp and clean. But if you want a camera phone now from nextel they have the i860 with mp3 capability and much more. I make my own mp3 ringtones though the data cable. pm me for any questions. (can you tell i used to work for a cell phone store??? :D )

I can't switch services. I have to stay with AT&T (Edge Wireless) because that's who my company goes through. Plus, Nextel has shitty coverage for my area.

I love my samsung phone, much more durable than Nokia/Motorola. All the phones I see from those companies have a cheap quality to them....

The i860 is highway robbery. Coming from someone who works at Nextel, all of our phones our overpriced. I have an i60 with a 200.00 plan, I could have EVERYTHING on the i830, i860, but I'm not paying what they want for it. They are the best, but overpriced. I'd go with Motorola regardless of the wireless company, it's just the Nextel/Motorola combination that is retardedly high.

I don't know if my wireless company (Edge Wireless) offers Samsung phones. I found out yesterday evening that for AT&T wireless/Cingular you HAVE to go through Edge because they are the authorized dealer/lackey for my area. So I can't even circumvent them through the internet. T-Mobile, Nextel, Ramcell(local company), and U.S. Cellular all have crappy coverage here anyway. I'll have to check and see if they can special order phones, if not it looks like I'm going with the Motorola V600.

nokia sucks i used to work for a company that repaired them, i worked in a place with 100 ee and we repaired 100,000 weekly! then they expanded moto is good quality kinda , dont get kyocera , audiovox , or any of that junk either though.. i have a nokia tho.. but i got myne free

i've had good experience with nokia, but my best advice would be to talk to people in your area and see which phone gets the best reception...

screw the cameras and all that shit, the phone is mainly used for a PHONE, so get the one that will do its primary job most effeciently

oh my god the v206 is old as shit!! one thing i learned is the more you pay for a nokia the better it is.

if you want to see some cool phones check out www.gsmarena.com . what i do is find a cool phone no one has near me look it up and aslong as its 1900mhz and unlucked i buy it. being your at&t you also need a phone with the 850 band as well

nextel sucks

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Nov 23 2004, 12:31 PM
^^^

I'll do that. I still don't know if they will let me use a phone that I buy myself though.
[post=421003]Quoted post[/post]​

they wont know , and cant do nothing if its an unlocked phone! , ived used my sim in every kind of unlocked phone

Phones have SIM cards in the back of the phones, most can be changed out--as long as the SIM is "clean"--not suspended, etc. It can be used it dfferent phones.

there is two cards on the back of the 3650 one is a mem card and the other is a sim card. a sim card is the most important thing to a gsm phone, it holds your number and has yoru phone book mem. once you put your sim in different gsm phone it then becomes yours.

cell phone companies lock there phones so you cant use it wiht other companies. a unlocked gsm phone would work with all companies only if it has the correct bands. at&t uses 850mhz and 1900mhz

So, if you were a sneaky bastard, you could buy whatever phone you like and just transfer the SIM card? I bet my provider would be a little pissed if they found out.

OK Mr. Wireless Guru. Find me a phone with a camera, that is MP3 and Midi compatible, preferrably with Bluetooth, that has a similar feature set to the Motorola V600. I'd just drop the nonsense and go V600, but I hear that the battery life and signal reception is not so good.

Back