1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modem questions

Discussion in 'Computers, Games, Electronics etc' started by wikedeye, Jul 19, 2010.

1. wikedeye

wikedeye Well-Known Member

I just moved and have signed up for new internet service. I was wondering if an older modem has very much effect on my internet service. I have a modem that is about three maybe four years old. The service I signed up for has 22mbps download speed. Will a modem that has a larger mbps capability work better? If 22mbps is the max that my service provider is sending does that mean that my modem will never process more than 22mbps? What things should I look for when buying a new modem?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  2. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

22Mbs is not 22 MBs.

a bit is 1/8 of a byte.

22/8 = 2.75 megabytes per second max.

of that, that is peak handeling. you usually see 75% of that.... or around 2 MBs.

3. endlesszeal

endlesszeal Senior Member

i think most internet companies and such deal with Mbps (megabits).

anyway, im pretty sure almost any modern modem and do that speed on LAN.

go to Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test and run the speedtest. you should see around the 17-20 Mbps range.

4. wikedeye

It wont be turned on til tues. I dont have cable running to the house yet so I have to wait for them to come and run the cable. I know it is bit is different than a byte, I am just wondering if the modem is more powerful does it allow the transfers to move faster? Like if I had a modem that was capable of 150mbps would it work better than a modem that peaks at 50mbps, or it wont matter which one I have because my signal is never going to be more than 22mbps.

5. awptickes

awptickes unimpressed by you VIP

is it a DOCSIS 2 modem?

What is the peak burst set to on your service? IE: "powerboost"

A DOCSIS 3.0 modem won't work any better than a DOCSIS 2 modem, but given the peak burst set on your account, it might allow you to burst higher. DOCSIS 2 in North America peaks out at about 38 Mbps, where as DOCSIS 3.0 allows multiple channel bonding as long as the CMTS supports it. In this area there are 100Mbps cable packages, which only bonds 3 channels. Some of the newer modems with the new broadcom chipset can bond 8 downstream channels.

So to answer your question: yes and/or no. Please provide more information.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  6. wikedeye

I dont really know a lot about what you are saying. You are talking to someone who is less computer savvy than you so take that into account and speak in layman terms. I have comcast internet service (22mbps) with powerboost. I do not know what DOCSIS it is. How do I tell? I think the highest mbps available where I am is 50, and it costs around $100, which is more than I am willing to pay right now. I just want a good connection for gaming. I am not using to download massive amounts of music or movies.

7. endlesszeal

endlesszeal Senior Member

basically hes saying that you are fine unless you want to improve "nawz" on your internet connection.

as ive said, when you get the thing setup, hop over to the speedtest link i provided and test your connection. if its within ballpark, say +/-15% of advertised speed, youre solid.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted