Money is life's report card...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
I heard this on the radio this weekend on the way to or from work.
Discuss.

william-hamilton-money-is-life-s-report-card-new-yorker-cartoon.jpg

DBRO289.pvw.jpg

You mean credit is lifes report card?

It seems to me that being upside down in every financial aspect is the new norm. I see it a lot. Buy somethin, keep it a little while, buy add ons/upgrades etc, sell it for a loss, rinse, repeat.

Im happy with what I have. Mainly because I own it all outright.

im broke as fuck.

and while there are aspects of my life that i would like improved, im still the happiest mother fucker i know.
everybody else is miserable. and broke.

Yes and no. Money is an instrument that can be used to help fund things that bring happiness - trips, experiences, charity, basic needs. There is a lot to be said for not having to worry about whether or not you can write a check for whatever comes up. Money won't replace things that money can't by - a positive attitude, health, confidence, etc.

I have made more money before and have not been as happy but at that point in life, it was more important to acquire money than it was to actually use spend it.

I will make 30-50% more money this year than last year and it won't necessarily make me happy or unhappy but it will go towards a much better cause and the money will be forgotten but the security it brings will not.

Some of the issue for me with the money, that actually causes unhappiness, is the pressure I put on always one upping myself. The expectation that I've made X before, so now I need to make a least Y.

With that said, I would pay all of the money back to not be in pain on a daily basis.

My uncle is the CEO of a major tire and industrial rubber company (makes bank, and then some). He is also of the most miserable people I know.

I don't think it applies to everyone. But as far as I'm concerned it's definitely one of my classes and my grades have been getting a lot better.

I don't need excessive amounts of money. I'll just be happy to not owe anyone anything. Compared to this time last year, I'm in far far less debt.

In fact, had I not hurt my foot I'd probably have 2-500 saved up already. But no, I go and fuck it up literally 2 weeks after paying off a 6 year debt.

2 comments...
1 credit does not apply to this
credit is like taking someone else's report card with a 4.0 or straight A's, crossing their name off the top and writing your own in with crayon
sure you have the paper that says you have good grades, but you really don't have shit

2, i find it interesting that people are automatically jumping to the money buys happiness cliche
the comic doesn't mention anything about happiness
for the sake or argument, that might be like saying yes, i only got C's, but i went to lots of parties and had a great social life, so i was happier than someone who studied all the time and got A's
just 2 observations

I think you missed my point on credit.

If money is lifes report card, then the trend I see so much is people goin out and buying things on credit, to make it seem like have or make a lot of money.

Somethin like buying the same pen your teacher used on you report card, so you could turn that F into a B.

If it was strictly a report than stupid people would not be getting such good grades.

People are drawing the happiness comparison because its likely a better yardstick to measure whether you are winning at life.

If you could stretch less money to achieve better results (happiness, possessions, success, etc) than you are probably smarter, more efficient and 'better at the game of life'

Last edited:
here's my report card:

i can go to a family get together, and sit back and enjoy myself, while everybody else just bitches about how broke they are and cant afford to do anything.

when asked, i can report that we're doing ok, bills are paid, and debt is minimal. outgoing is smaller than incoming, and the pool is slowly getting deeper.

thats my report home, which is exactly what a report card is.

and we all make about the same amount.

Back