Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge-Tunnel (I-664)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Prowler

Super Moderator
I saw this on Honda-Tech and thought it was pretty cool.

wNDAxNjMxNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

wNDAxNjMzNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

MMMBT_S_Aerial_ML.jpg

Insane.... $400 Million dollars. :huh:

http://www.roadstothefuture.com/I664_VA_MMMBT.html

that just looks crazy. I don't think the guys that built shit like the golden gate back in the day could even fathom something like this...simply amazing where technology has come in the last 100 years...

matt

i saw something liek this on Discovery Channels episode on Bridges, they have engineers trying to makea nridge from like Panama to Like Africa or something it was insane what they planned on doing

Are you not familiar with the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel??? That's an awesome drive. I stopped in the middle at the restaurant and docks there.

http://www.cbbt.com/

Originally posted by corvetteguy@May 21 2004, 11:23 AM
i saw something liek this on Discovery Channels episode on Bridges, they have engineers trying to makea nridge from like Panama to Like Africa or something it was insane what they planned on doing

Trying? Hell, we have the technology now to build a tunnel from S. America to Africa. Just imagine what we could do to the Sahara desert if we piped fresh water from the Amazon over there...

I drove on a bridge like that (not sure if it was that one) there are multiple bridges and tunnels. Very neat to drive on.

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@May 21 2004, 12:36 PM
Are you not familiar with the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel??? That's an awesome drive. I stopped in the middle at the restaurant and docks there.

http://www.cbbt.com/

me and bill went on that before

its F'ing HUGE

cant even see land when you are out on that thing

there was a special on the history channel about the making of it not too long ago

I'd love to go back... I ordered the Fisherman's Platter, it was huge and very tasty. Hmmm... I was there close to sunset too. That was an excellent day. :)

Originally posted by Loco Honkey+May 21 2004, 11:45 AM-->
corvetteguy
@May 21 2004, 11:23 AM

Trying? Hell, we have the technology now to build a tunnel from S. America to Africa. Just imagine what we could do to the Sahara desert if we piped fresh water from the Amazon over there...

The Camel meet the pirania therory....hmmmmmmm :ph34r:

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@May 21 2004, 05:44 PM
The oceans salinity affects weather patterns...

Our polar caps are melting too. And our planet's weather patterns are also affected by mountain ranges. Natural plate tectonics are causing the Himalayan Mountains to rise and have already changed the climate of the Tibetan plateau.

Changes are inevitable... and as Mark Twain once wrote....

"Man has been here 32,000 years. That it took a hundred million years to prepare the world for him is proof that that is what it was done for. I suppose it is. I dunno. If the Eiffel tower were now representing the world's age, the skin of paint on the pinnacle-knob at its summit would represent man's share of that age; & anybody would perceive that that skin was what the tower was built for. I reckon they would. I dunno." - Was the World Made for Man?

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal+May 21 2004, 05:04 PM-->
Loco Honkey
@May 21 2004, 05:44 PM
The oceans salinity affects weather patterns...

Our polar caps are melting too. And our planet's weather patterns are also affected by mountain ranges. Natural plate tectonics are causing the Himalayan Mountains to rise and have already changed the climate of the Tibetan plateau.

Changes are inevitable... and as Mark Twain once wrote....

"Man has been here 32,000 years. That it took a hundred million years to prepare the world for him is proof that that is what it was done for. I suppose it is. I dunno. If the Eiffel tower were now representing the world's age, the skin of paint on the pinnacle-knob at its summit would represent man's share of that age; & anybody would perceive that that skin was what the tower was built for. I reckon they would. I dunno." - Was the World Made for Man?

There is the floating airport in/arround Japan that is contantly sinking. It has endured an earthquake and a hurricane. I dont see a hybrid of a bridge/tunnel over a few thousand miles being a major problem. But the Memorial-Merrimac bridge cost some $400 million? and it only is 21 miles long. It would be close to 2 billion for a 100 mile bridge-tunnel. Then again how to get the exhaust fumes and pollution out. What if a wreck or tire blow out occours half way through? it'll be awhile before we see one going many thousands of miles.

Good post 94RedSiGal

Back