moral / ethical issue

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX-YEM

Super Moderator
VIP
So I've been selling off some car parts that I'm not going to use. I get this one call about the clutch I have to sell. My ad headline and listing stated.

EXEDY 90-91 Civic/CRX Honda Stage 1 Clutch and Pressure Plate

So I sell it to some guy a few weeks ago. I met him locally and he happened to be driving an Accord. So I ask him if he's got a project car that he's planning on using this clutch with, He tells me yeah I picked up a CRX and a hatch yada yada..... We both go on our way.

So I get a call from the kid, he says" Hey I tried putting the clutch on the CRX but it wouldn't fit" I asked him well what year is the CRX, "88" I tell him that it won't fit an 88 but it'll fit the hatch.

In anycase it sounds like this guy is gonna want me to give him his money back. Although I clearly started that it was for a 90-91 CRX/Civic. As I see it the sales final. Not my problem that you didn't do the research.

What are your thoughts on the issue ?? Do I owe this guy a refund of is it buyer beware. You should know what you're buying.

does he know where you live? does he have any other info on you?

if you told him 90-91, then you are fine. it's his fault for being stupid.

those would be my questions also

last thing you need is some dirtbag thinking you wronged him throwing a brick through your car/house window
i would probably give the money back to him and try to resell it
worth the piece of mind to me personally

i agree if you told him what it was for and he didnt listen then its his fault anf then he took forever to get back to you saying that it isnt working i say sorry dude you should have made sure its what you needed

how long ago was it? who knows, maybe he drove it and blew up the clutch and wants to screw you over.

If it is plainly stated that it is for a 90/91 rex or hatch then you have no obligation to refund the cash. However if he knows where you live or will see your rig around town then I would probably just refund it. That is if he didn't wreck the clutch trying to get it to work using a hammer and rusty nails.

We met at a public place. I know he lives in CT somewhere south of me >20mins away most likely would never run int o the guy again. He has my google voice phone number. I do not feel obligated to refund him the cash. Seriously I sold the thing for $25 and it has at least half if not more life in it. I just needed it gone.

give him the $25 back. just meet at a fast food place. don't drive more than 5 minutes from your house, but don't let him know that.

last thing i would want is to have to change my number because of some stupid douche.

Because he gave out his GV number he wont need to worry about changing anything.

yea fuck that..he was dumb and didnt do his research first..clearly stated what it was for...do you happen to have the kids name?

I've delt with this before. All sales are final and as is. No refunds.

There is a place for half used clutches... Its called a trash can.

Can't believe you sold a used clutch. Moron should have read the add and did research, you should have tossed the thing in the trash in the first place. Fail on both counts.

But, if you piss this guy off and he smashes your window, you'll be out more than $25. Meet him, give him his cash back, toss the thing in the trash, and continue on with life.

tell him to sell it himself. its not your job to know what he's putting it in to.

Ebay transaction? Then fuck him.

Person 2 Person transaction? Be cool, he knows what you look like, where you live, or how to get in touch with you. Work something reasonable out. Remember, hes already hunted you down to GIVE you money . . .. hunting you down to take it back isnt a problem . . .

I'm with B and Clayton. I would never buy something from CL or ebay without doing my research. Even though it was a face to face transaction he has no idea were I live and I'll probably never 1 in 100 change I ever see this person again.

go on with your life..he will go on with his..especially if its only $25

Well after reading your first post I was thinking that you should probably think about refunding all or maybe just half of it, but since you said this is only $25, then keep it. It isn't worth your time, it's his fault. Tell him to sell it or use it in his hatch. I doubt he'd get pissed off enough to find you and vandalize anything over $25. I wouldn't be a dick to him though, just let him know that you were clear about what it would work for, and it was him that didn't do the research and just assumed it would work.

Back