more IT stupidity

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TurboMirage

That’s how you get ants
VIP
so, this guy shoots us an email saying he had lost some files on the archive drive last week and asks up the extent of our server backups.

yeah. we do incremental backups of exchange server and the 2 file servers. unfortunately, nothing on the mac server. we have like, 5 mac designers.

so, i go down to the server room to play on the mac server, a dual g5, seems the files were deleted by user "mwolik-mac". i promptly restore the asked for files, and permanently delete the ones that he didnt ask for. too bad.

i show him where the files are, and tell him not to delete ANYTHING anymore, cuz more than likely next time it will be gone. our pc/mac user agreement says that only PMs are supposed to delete files from the archive drive.

i wrote his bitch ass up for almost losing the company a few ten thousand dollars :wink:

funny thing is, these 5 guys/girls get into more trouble with the agreement than almost anyone else in the company. why cant idiots just follow simple directions? they wonder why they get written up for having aim and itunes. its bullshit. if you have 200 people streaming off of a dual t1 connection, of course its going to be slow.

yeah, this was the highlight of my day :)

i didnt delete the backup. we have no backups on the mac server. all deleted mac archive files go into a 2 week "quarantine" so to speak.

Still, that was pretty retarded to delete the other files that someone else might have needed....

if it wasnt as important as it was, i would have just said they were gone. im just sick of cleaning up after idiots who dont obey the rules that i didnt even make.

yeah, my ass would be in a sling for that attitude. Good show

Nick Burns.

Back