(More) possibly stupid newbie questions-ZC vs B16

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

olde phart

I'm still agonizing and possibly over-analyzing just exactly what I want to end up with after I bastardize my really pristine '91 DX hatch. The ZC swap is a cake walk....the B16 will require more $$, work and Budweiser. Again....this thing ain't goin' to the drag strip, whatever I swap in in gonna' be left stock except for a nice free-flowing exhaust (that's fairly quiet....and no converter....) and it's gonna' be a nice-weather daily driver.
In terms of the time-honor 'butt-o-meter dyno'....I need some input on torque. Roll-on acceleration with my stock motor is kinda' like steppin' in a cow pie. Something goes squish but not much happens. Let's say, for the scope of my question (and I know I'm below the VTEC operational range) what is the difference in torque 'feel' between these two setups from 2K to 5K?
Also.....will a b16 set-up fit under a stock hood? I know the ZC issues with the belt cover....

Thanks for any input....and sorry if these are dumb questions....

Jim

all around the b16 Is a better engine than any d-series in my opinion , better quality parts for all around performance, the bonus side to the zc is that its a direct replacement for your factory engine and if your in the same obd generation than you can use all of your existing electronics, transmission, and mounts, but your a dx and have to do a dual point to mpfi conversion, the b16 fits fine under the hood, if not its nothing a little tap with a hammer wont fix, if you decide to swap to b-series you also have to do a mpfi conversion, you will need mounts, 5-speed hubs, harness, ecu, cv's , etc, but all in all Id honestly go b-series, Ive allways found the project fun to tackle and you have somthing to really be proud of, quick and a blast to drive, either way the zc or the b16 you will have more power and still be fun, good luck man

Back