More progress on the car nobody cares about!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Battle Pope

I finally got that contemptable manifold off. Not that anyone cares anyway. I'm just making this thread so most of you can practice making irritated/angry/otherwise negative smilies.

08-29-05_2012.jpg

08-29-05_2013.jpg

The first one to make a comment about how bad the pics are gets a brick to the face. I know they're bad, I don't have a proper camera.

Step 2: replace crappy EFI manifold with not as crappy carb manifold with dual webers. Tune webers and drive car.

Originally posted by vtecsir1+Aug 29 2005, 10:56 PM-->
@Aug 29 2005, 10:52 PM
nice.gif

[post=547073]Quoted post[/post]​

this was worth reading the post
[post=547077]Quoted post[/post]​

Seriously that was friggin cool...

So, Maybe I'm not up on the who "Z" world, but why the hell would you swap EFI for a pair of carbs?? I mean, EFI is better and more efficient.. Must be a z thing...

You should get a pair of B series manifolds and cut the #1 runner from one and the #4 runner from the other and weld em together.. Make a multiport system for it. Fab it long enough and you could do dual throttle bodies.. That would be the shiz!

Originally posted by phyregod+Aug 30 2005, 08:05 AM-->
Originally posted by vtecsir1@Aug 29 2005, 10:56 PM
E_SolSi
@Aug 29 2005, 10:52 PM
nice.gif

[post=547073]Quoted post[/post]​

this was worth reading the post
[post=547077]Quoted post[/post]​

Seriously that was friggin cool...

So, Maybe I'm not up on the who "Z" world, but why the hell would you swap EFI for a pair of carbs?? I mean, EFI is better and more efficient.. Must be a z thing...

You should get a pair of B series manifolds and cut the #1 runner from one and the #4 runner from the other and weld em together.. Make a multiport system for it. Fab it long enough and you could do dual throttle bodies.. That would be the shiz!
[post=547268]Quoted post[/post]​

It already HAD MPFI. There was a rather large wiring problem that I didn't feel like figuring out, and I came across the carbs for pretty cheap. It's just to get the car running so I can drive it while I try to sell the infiniti. Once I get another Honda the Z will be parked, the good engine/trans will be sold, and then I'll start on the V8 swap.

Yeah, you'd want to switch to carbs too if your wiring was as butchered as mine is.

Well the EFI is not hard to trouble shoot...

but since you already have them off...go get the low pressure high volume fuel pump...of the rear of the older 260Z, it's a little helper pump next to the gas tank..I think I have one here somewhere...but where it is in my mess of part's...I have no clue..

Next your going to need the mechanical fuel pump..and connect it to the head...but I'm not sure if that will work either..since they might have changed the cams and removed the fuel pump lobes on that year...if they did..then just get the simple 3-9 psi pump from any parts store and wire it in.

Next..I hope you got the screw type carbs and not the DGV's...they flow real good when cleaned up...and the best bet if you can afford it is to send them to ZTherepy for rebuild. Then you will have something that will deffinatelly will work and will be kinda fast. the final product will be runable..but don't forget to wrap the fuel lines with an insulation of some sort....or you will have vaporlocking probs in the heat...if it ever gets hot up there... ;)

I already installed a electric low-pressure pump in place of the factory pump. The engine is an L28E so it doesn't have any place for a mechanical fuel pump.

I got DGVs cause they were cheap (a hundred bucks for the setup) and I know a guy who's really good with tuning them. I looked around but nobody wanted to sell me anything for under 300 bucks.

I'm not looking to make it fast with the inliner. Just to get it running so I can drive it. It will be fast once I do the V8 swap.

Originally posted by Airjockie@Aug 30 2005, 10:45 AM

but since you already have them off...go get the low pressure high volume fuel pump...of the rear of the older 260Z, it's a little helper pump next to the gas tank..I think I have one here somewhere...but where it is in my mess of part's...I have no clue..

Next your going to need the mechanical fuel pump..and connect it to the head...but I'm not sure if that will work either..since they might have changed the cams and removed the fuel pump lobes on that year...if they did..then just get the simple 3-9 psi pump from any parts store and wire it in.

Next..I hope you got the screw type carbs and not the DGV's...they flow real good when cleaned up...and the best bet if you can afford it is to send them to ZTherepy for rebuild. Then you will have something that will deffinatelly will work and will be kinda fast. the final product will be runable..but don't forget to wrap the fuel lines with an insulation of some sort....or you will have vaporlocking probs in the heat...if it ever gets hot up there... ;)
[post=547294]Quoted post[/post]​

I have your piggy back inline fuel pump. Also, looking at the manifold side of that motor, it does lack the fuel pump hole / lobes .

Also, what's so damned difficult about taking off this intake manifold ? You want difficult, own a Supra.

Originally posted by Celerity+Aug 30 2005, 12:28 PM-->
Airjockie
@Aug 30 2005, 10:45 AM

I have your piggy back inline fuel pump. Also, looking at the manifold side of that motor, it does lack the fuel pump hole / lobes .

Also, what's so damned difficult about taking off this intake manifold ? You want difficult, own a Supra.
[post=547336]Quoted post[/post]​

The mechanical Fuel Pump mounts on the spark plug side...up front...on most Z heads...

Originally posted by Celerity+Aug 30 2005, 10:28 AM-->
Originally posted by Airjockie@Aug 30 2005, 10:45 AM

Next..I hope you got the screw type carbs and not the DGV's...they flow real good when cleaned up...and the best bet if you can afford it is to send them to ZTherepy for rebuild.  Then you will have something that will deffinatelly will work and will be kinda fast.  the final product will be runable..but don't forget to wrap the fuel lines with an insulation of some sort....or you will have vaporlocking probs in the heat...if it ever gets hot up there... ;)

I don't WANT difficult. It wasn't HARD, it just took awhile. Yes, I know, you're better than me. :p

Originally posted by Airjockie@Aug 30 2005, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Celerity@Aug 30 2005, 12:28 PM
Airjockie
@Aug 30 2005, 10:45 AM

Next..I hope you got the screw type carbs and not the DGV's...they flow real good when cleaned up...and the best bet if you can afford it is to send them to ZTherepy for rebuild.  Then you will have something that will deffinatelly will work and will be kinda fast.  the final product will be runable..but don't forget to wrap the fuel lines with an insulation of some sort....or you will have vaporlocking probs in the heat...if it ever gets hot up there... ;)

The mechanical Fuel Pump mounts on the spark plug side...up front...on most Z heads...
[post=547346]Quoted post[/post]​

There's nothing over there but a bracket that held the hardlines to the fuel rail.

the mechanical fuel pump ended in 75. The electric pump (If it's dual equipped) brackets on the passenger side of the firewall, and there may be another in the back at the tank (But that's a 280 thing)

Back