More Top End

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

twerker08

How do I get more top end out of my DOHC 1.8 Integra motor.I want my non vetec to smoke vetec motors.Has anyone put factory gsr pistons into a non vetec motor if so how did it work?Thanks.I forgot this 1.8 integra motor is in my 93 hb.

one option is to go LS/Vtec. You'll easily spank a B18C1. Those hybrid motors are monsters if built right.
I don't know about the GSR pistons in your LS motor, i've always wondered the same thing. does any one have an answer to that question?

They aren't worth it. You have to shave your rods and then the compression bump isn't that big. Get B16 pistons, they will yeild ~10.8 to ~12.1:1 depending on which B16 you get pistons you get. Have you thought about boost?

Here you go

1) Better tranny, well a faster gearing one at that like a S4 or S80 trannt
2) Resleeve to 84.5mm's w higher compression pistons obviously
3)VTEC head, take your pick

This vauge rough setup will keep you ahead for sure with 1.8vtec motors. If you want a more centered answer just post what your plan and budget is.

good luck.

Milan

I have thought about LS/VETEC but alot of people say that it is a bad idea.To hard on the motor and componets.What b16 pistons should I buy?

It's not a bad idea you just have to build it right. What static compression do you want to run?

lsvtec is a great idea if you know about it. Dont get b16 pistons just get some aftermarket high compression pistons, they will fit like stock without any fab work.

Oh boy, here we go :spin:

Yeah, if an lsvtec is built the right way it is fine, there is no reason why it wouldn't. If you are afraid of building an LSvtec and just can't fathome the thought then sell your long block and get a GSR longblock and build it. Either way you are building your motor, so just take your pic.....

Milan

I've been hearing the ls/vtecs aren't all that reliable in the long term because of the bottom end ratios from the LS. high revving + ls = bad news?

I believe the ratios on GSR's and ITR's are 1.57
B16a is almost 1.75
B18b/B20 is 1.53 roughly

it's not that much of a difference from the reving ITR crank.........

If lsvtec is done right, you are fine!!!!!!Period!!!!!!!!!!It's a motor, not a human heart transplant. And if you still don't like the idea then I don't know what to tell you anymore, goodluck.

Milan

get pr3 pistons.

if you do an lsvtec.. just get arp rod bolts and head studs. use the right parts and it works fine.

Originally posted by liquid00meth@May 21 2003, 08:55 PM
I've been hearing the ls/vtecs aren't all that reliable in the long term because of the bottom end ratios from the LS. high revving + ls = bad news?

You and everyone elss. I wish I could find the guy that started spouting off this :bs: about 1.53:1 being to low for 8000 RPM so I could kick him. When I get out of school I am looking at a setup that will run 1.5:1 and I am not worried about revving it to 8500.

i've been drawn to the idea of an LS/Vtec more and more lately. first it was cuz of Pills that the seed got planted, i had just finished reading his write-up on his project. next, a few days back i was helping one of my neighbors try to get his car started and his friend had an EK hatch with a nicely built LSVtec in it. Engine bay looked very clean. Not sure of the exact setup but i know it was a B16 head with a B18B block. he said he had a PNP head, CTR cams and i forget the rest. the other stuff i could see on there included a AEM cai, DC JDM 4-1 header, fuel rale(aem), fpr and cam gears(str). He claimed it was pushing 203hp at the wheels. He ran it down my street but i couldn't really see what it was capable of cuz the tires broke loose when he shifted to second and spun it all the way through 2nd gear, he shifted to third real quick and shut it down.
i think i made up my mind. i want...err...I NEED A LS/VTEC. :D

Originally posted by lsvtec@May 22 2003, 10:24 AM
When I get out of school I am looking at a setup that will run 1.5:1 and I am not worried about revving it to 8500.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I need to stop asking you and Brian about different builds. I talk to you and you have me gung-ho for the NA 2.1L build. I talk to B and he has me on the fence thinking about boost. Dammit.:D

I need to start by getting a better tranny, a better set of cams, and a Hondata and see where that takes me.:)

Back