more torque/horsepower

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civiclxb16

ok I have a b16a2 engine in my civic and it is quick i love it, but i would like to get some more torque and horsepower out of it. now i was reading about the ls vtec and the cr vtec, but i was also reading about stroker kits. now what i would like to know is what exactly does the stroker kit do? does it make the rods shorter with longer stroke on the crank shaft? i don't understand it can someone clear that up for me? also which would be better getting a stroker kit or doing a ls/cr vtec swap?

stroke the b16. i believe it can also be done with oem parts for cheap. but the best option would probably be a stroked ls/vtec. im saving for a kit right now. i would just stroke what you have though. it will most likely be cheaper too. check out the eagle kits. they arent that expensive.. comparitively.

i had a b16 in my del sol, and put together an LS bottom end for under 500 ...

brand new pr3 pistons/rings .025 over bore, ARP rod bolts and head studs and an ls/vtec kit

just start keeping your eyes open for a cheap block. i found an entire LS longblock for 250.

Can he just use the LS crank and rods with the B16 pistons? Will the LS crank even fit? I'm not sure.

what about using an ls crank with the b16 rods and pistons would that do anything? i have a crank from a b18b!

tech 43 has a kit where you use ls crank and rods and you buy their custom pistons and you have a ls/vtec with out the oil line... Just go to honda-tech and search for tech43
I have my ecu, crank, and rods comin in the mail for it too :)

You can't make a B16A 1.8 liters and use all OEM parts. The problem lies in the fact that the B16A block is physically about 9mm shorter than all the 1.8 and 2.0 B blocks.

to answer your questions...

stroke kit:
by using a different crank, rods and sometimes pistons, more displaement is acheived. in most cases, the crank has a longer stroke. the rod length is shorter, and the piston will sometimes have a different mout location onto the rod to try to keep the oem geometry. problem is, none really even comes close. if you stroke the motor, your rev-happiness will go bye bye. it will still go to 8k, but the top end won't be as "b16-ish" as it is now.
i highly recommend doing something else instead.
this will cost you 3k for most kits out there.

sleeving the b16 to 84mm over the 81 will put you at 1.7 and change, still keep the stock geometry and make more power. but, this is also costyl- 1000 for sleeves, 500 for 84mm pistons, and you might as well do rods for 350-500 while you're down there along with new bearings ~100.

going to an ls block or a gsr/itr block is a better idea, and the cheapest by far. like pills said, it cane be done for under 500 bucks, or a little more if you start hitting aftermarket parts.
but then, you can always sleeve or stroke this larger block too if you wish down the road.

going to a better base is the way to go IMO

The Tech43 stroker kit actually gets you back to stock LS geometry because it uses the OEM B18 crank and rods, but yeah- there's no way to really get back to the stock B16 stroke geometry. Going to a better base is better, but the Tech43 kit is still a good alternative if you MUST have a B16 block.

so using my ls crank that i have is out of the question because of the 9mm difference? and you said that doing a ls vtec is about 500 bucks i can life with that what would i do just get the block clean it up some get new water pump timing belt and tesionor and the oil line and i am done? o yeah head gasket also?

use the water pump from your b16, you will need to get a timing belt from 1.8L (gsr or equiivalent). i used muriatic acid to clean up my block, you will need a head gasket and need to remove two of the copper rings. my website has pictures of my progress when i did the lsvtec in my old del sol

Back