more useless facts

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jeffie7

Wrong Whole!
VIP
1. A rat can last longer without water than a camel.

2. Your stomach has to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks or it will digest itself.

3. The dot over the letter "i" is called a tittle.

4. A raisin dropped in a glass of fresh champagne will bounce up and down continuously from the bottom of the glass to the top.

5. A female ferret will die if it goes into heat and cannot find a mate.

6. A duck's quack doesn't echo. No one knows why.

7. A 2 X 4 is really 1-1/2" by 3-1/2".

8. During the chariot scene in "Ben Hur," a small red car can be seen in the distance (and Heston's wearing a
watch).

9. On average, 12 newborns will be given to the wrong parents daily! (That explains a few mysteries....)

10. Donald Duck comics were banned from Finland because he doesn't wear pants.

11. Because metal was scarce, the Oscars given out during World War II were made of wood.

12. The number of possible ways of playing the first four moves per side in a game of chess is 318,979,564,000.

13. There are no words in the dictionary that rhyme with orange, purple and silver.

14. The name Wendy was made up for the book Peter Pan. There was never a recorded Wendy before.

15. The very first bomb dropped by the Allies on Berlin in World War II killed the only elephant in the Berlin Zoo.

16. If one places a tiny amount of liquor on a scorpion, it will instantly go mad and sting itself to death (Who was the sadist who discovered this??)

17. Bruce Lee was so fast that they actually had to s-l-o-w film down so you could see his moves. That's the opposite of the norm.

18. The first CD pressed in the US was Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA."

19. The original name for butterfly was flutterby.
20. The phrase "rule of thumb" is derived from an old English law which stated that you couldn't beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb.

21. The first product Motorola started to develop was a record player for automobiles. At that time, the most known player on the market was Victrola, so they called themselves Motorola.

22. Roses may be red, but violets are indeed violet.

23. By raising your legs slowly and lying on your back, you cannot sink into quicksand. (assuming of course that you landed on your back in the first place)
24. Celery has negative calories. It takes more calories to eat a piece of celery than the celery has in it to begin with. B are you reading this?

25. Charlie Chaplin once won third prize in a Charlie Chaplin look-alike contest.

26. Chewing gum while peeling onions will keep you from crying.

27. Sherlock Holmes NEVER said, "Elementary, my dear Watson."

28. An old law in Bellingham, Washington, made it illegal for a woman to take more than three steps backwards while dancing!

29. The glue on Israeli postage is certified kosher.

30. The Guinness Book of Records holds the record for being the book most often stolen from public libraries

31. Astronauts are not allowed to eat beans before they go into space because passing wind in a spacesuit damages them.

32. Bats always turn left when exiting a cave!

So now ya know...

17. Bruce Lee was so fast that they actually had to s-l-o-w film down so you could see his moves. That's the opposite of the norm.

I've heard that before. He was too damn good.

23. By raising your legs slowly and lying on your back, you cannot sink into quicksand. (assuming of course that you landed on your back in the first place)

Very interesting....

25. Charlie Chaplin once won third prize in a Charlie Chaplin look-alike contest.

wtf? :lmao: I believe it.

26. Chewing gum while peeling onions will keep you from crying.

It works, I've tried it.

27. Sherlock Holmes NEVER said, "Elementary, my dear Watson."

Sherlock Holmes never said anything...he was a fictional character. :lol:

Negative calories... No. Just not enough calories to require being counted. ;)

That's about like saying that you can't measure air, because there is so much of it out there! LOL.

I think they mean you burn more calories chewing it then you would take in by eating it

Originally posted by jeffie7@Nov 1 2003, 01:58 AM
I think they mean you burn more calories chewing it then you would take in by eating it

:blink:

You ok, Jeff?

I think you were halfway there, and got sidetracked...

This part is ok....
"I think they mean you burn more calories chewing it then"...

But I think you meant to end the statement like this...
"the vegetable actually contains."

Well. I reread what you said 4-5 times... I guess it makes sense... in an "I've been on the eastcoast too long" kinda way...

your foot is the same length as your elbow to your wrist

everybody who read my last post tested it before reading this one. :lol:

Originally posted by get_nick@Nov 1 2003, 07:37 AM

I did. and my foot was 2 inches shorter than my forearm. :unsure:

Originally posted by get_nick+Nov 1 2003, 07:41 AM-->
Originally posted by sleepergtx@Nov 1 2003, 02:39 AM
get_nick
@Nov 1 2003, 07:37 AM
everybody who read my last post tested it before reading this one.  :lol:

you have to have toes for it to work. j/k :lol:

:p lol I do have toes. and from my ankle to the tips of my toes is still two inches shorter than my forarm from my elbow to my wrist. :D

I heard that about Jet Li, but not about Bruce Lee. Interesting...

**useless fact**

the elephant is the only animal on earth with 4 knee caps

Originally posted by HatchSpeeD@Nov 1 2003, 03:12 AM

I heard that about Jet Li, but not about Bruce Lee. Interesting...

bruce lee-game of death, the camera was too slow
jet li-lethal weapon 4,mel gibson was too slow

Originally posted by sleepergtx+Nov 1 2003, 02:43 AM-->
Originally posted by get_nick@Nov 1 2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by sleepergtx@Nov 1 2003, 02:39 AM
get_nick
@Nov 1 2003, 07:37 AM
everybody who read my last post tested it before reading this one.  :lol:

you have to have toes for it to work. j/k :lol:

:p lol I do have toes. and from my ankle to the tips of my toes is still two inches shorter than my forarm from my elbow to my wrist. :D

so your saying that you have a small foot, so that means you have a small something else. :lol: :lol:
J/K mang :p
*remember there is a chick in here that doesn't accept 3.5" floppies. :lol: :lol:
J/K again mang :p I couldn't help it!!!

2. Your stomach has to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks or it will digest itself.

4. A raisin dropped in a glass of fresh champagne will bounce up and down continuously from the bottom of the glass to the top.

7. A 2 X 4 is really 1-1/2" by 3-1/2".

9. On average, 12 newborns will be given to the wrong parents daily! (That explains a few mysteries....)

16. If one places a tiny amount of liquor on a scorpion, it will instantly go mad and sting itself to death (Who was the sadist who discovered this??)

20. The phrase "rule of thumb" is derived from an old English law which stated that you couldn't beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb.

30. The Guinness Book of Records holds the record for being the book most often stolen from public libraries
2. That can't be good. I can see people dying b/c this never happened.

4. That cool! :lol: I will have to try that sometime...maybe it will get me laid!! :lol:

7. I found that out a long time ago when I actual measured the "2*4" and came up with a different measurement. I became confused so I asked my stepfather who is in construction and he said it is just easier to say 2*4...duh?

9. That can't be good!

16. This is the coolest thing in the whole thread! I am going to have to try this sometime!! :D

20. Oh shit! I used that word in my paper I just wrote...hope my teacher does'nt know that! :lol:

30. I wonder if they have that as one of their records? :lol:

Originally posted by get_nick@Nov 1 2003, 02:37 AM

you got it wrong... last time I posted useless facts it said

20. you cannot lick your elbow

21. 90% of the people who read have tried to lick their elbow

and Jody you know Im messed up =) I can't even talk straight =)

Originally posted by SLA@Nov 1 2003, 08:52 AM

7. I found that out a long time ago when I actual measured the "2*4" and came up with a different measurement. I became confused so I asked my stepfather who is in construction and he said it is just easier to say 2*4...duh?

It's because years ago, they did an experiment to conserve trees by making all the boards over a certain size 1/2" smaller then they used to be and it worked, no structual difference worth accouting for at all.

I forget the name for the system but it works.

ummmmm 2x4 is the rough cut size... not very smooth or precise so its not good for building with... so they mill them down so you have 4 smooth sides and nice corners on it... better for building, much more consistant

2x4 is the rough cut size... same goes for 2x6, 2x8, 4x4, 6x6 etc etc etc.....

you can get the rough cuts but most dont bother with them

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Nov 1 2003, 02:46 PM
ummmmm 2x4 is the rough cut size... not very smooth or precise so its not good for building with... so they mill them down so you have 4 smooth sides and nice corners on it... better for building, much more consistant

2x4 is the rough cut size... same goes for 2x6, 2x8, 4x4, 6x6 etc etc etc.....

you can get the rough cuts but most dont bother with them

:werd: . slammed, you're on crack.

Back