mortgage bailout

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wow.. i wish i had that payment ... mine started out at $1113/mo included taxes and insurance.. it jumped to $1452 in January .. (long story, dont feel like telling it).. but i plan on it dropping very soon.. basically we're paying taxes on the old assessment of $315k.. the house got reassessed in May '08 at $150k .. so hopefully next month it'll drop

I am at 1900.oo a month and would give my right testicle to have a payment of only 700.00 a month especially since I am pretty sure he has a roommate. I could be wrong about that though. Also a couple of hundred for heat in the middle of winter is really not that bad. I was routinely paying 350 ish in Jan-March this past year.

Last edited:
doesnt get any colder than 40 degrees here really in the winter.. gets about 110 in the summer though

The only thing that would make me not take that deal is that I am a snow sports type of guy and I like my seasons to change more than just the clothes on a manniquin (sp?). Its not so bad we do the budget plan from our utility so I pay 175.oo each month and build up a credit during the summer to help offset the winter.

i wish i ONLY had a $2k mortgage... lol $700 would just be, well, insane.

winter people, buy a pellet stove. I cut my fuel bill total in half this past winter ($1000 for the season instead of 2000 for the season before when i was on straight oil)

yes and i one upped ya i cut my heating bill from 3300 the previous year to 800 this past winter. and i would kill for a 700 a month mortgage, and mine is only at 1700 a month, not as high as many but still hurts the ole bank account every month

yup, i had some problems with my stove during the coldest weeks, so that hurt my oil tank. i bet i will do better next year now that i know how to use the damn thing properly.

3 tons X $300 a ton = $900. and that was in-season prices. I'm hoping to buy in july or something pre-peak and get a better rate (275 hopefully)
and one tank of oil (which my hot water is also on) ~$250 (give or take prices of oil when i fill)
thats my goal for next winter

the wife and I just refinanced we have an FHA loan simple as pie, went from 5.8% to 5% saved us 80 bucks a month, we didn't really need to but we figured why not?

I spent like 30 minutes preparing that last post...wtf?

ok, update on my situation. I have to consider very carefully. I have been offered a new mortgage at 4.5%, but it's for 15 years. My payments will go up 60 to 75 a month, but the term is cut in half. Money is kinda tight now, due to some of my spend. I figured I had the mortgage done and newer car, so my credit score was not a big concern. I've used my credit cards to furnish my house with new stuff to replace the garbage and hand me downs I have been using. The point of me doing the refi was to lower the payment and get myself a little more comfortable in life with the new bills. On the otherhand if I stretch the budget a lil more I could have the house paid off in half the time. As far as the debt I've racked up I will have a nice chunked payed off at tax time. About 4k in tax return towards 11k of it plus what I pay off over the coures of a year. I should have it cut in half. My big concern is the winter months and the oil bill. On the other hand I do have a raise coming in October (I get a raise every 2 years), the last raise was about 2 dollars. I don't think we'll get that much this time with the current econemy, so I don't want to count on that too much, might only be 50 cents this year.

If you can afford it, do it for the 15 year. You'll save even more in intrest since you're putting more towards the principle than you were before.

James,
You're a fool. Thats all I have to say. YOU are responsible to know what your taxes are, not your bank. I had the same situation with my mortgague. But guess what, I knew they were wrong because I did the math myself. Therefore I decided to handle my taxes myself. No sense in giving them money to hold that I could invtest and gain intrest on; and they coulds screw up on. I think everyone else already tried to point you in the right direction, listen to some sound advice on here. Additionaly, accept some responsiblity.

I refi-d my house after owning for 6 months. Dropped my rate from 6.87 to 5.0. It was totally worth it, I saved $400 a month by that move alone.

EDIT:
Oh, and the question about running your credit too many times? My score didn't change at all.

Last edited:
Don't count on a raise this year.

Most places have frozen raises. I received the largest raise possible, then had the raise taken back so my company could go to Wall Street and tell our investors that all management's salaries were frozen.

Don't count on a raise this year.

Most places have frozen raises. I received the largest raise possible, then had the raise taken back so my company could go to Wall Street and tell our investors that all management's salaries were frozen.
The raise is written in the contract that my company has with the government. I will get one, but the question is how much. It could be as little as a dime, or as much as $2.50.

i wish i ONLY had a $2k mortgage... lol $700 would just be, well, insane.

winter people, buy a pellet stove. I cut my fuel bill total in half this past winter ($1000 for the season instead of 2000 for the season before when i was on straight oil)

I guess i'm lucky to have a $1900 a month mortgage here in the beautiful bay area. :) Of course I spend all my free weekends doing home repair/upgrades. :(

15 year are great deals most the time...

Just keep yourself in check if you go with it.

Account for any closing costs involved.

If it's going to break you, don't do it.

Back