Most efficient turbo for...?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RoughKnight

Christmas Car
Hi, second thread. Let me get to the point.

I just got my d15b obd1 set up, all cels cleared, just waiting on ideas for a temp exhaust until i decide if I want to stay N/A with this or boost now before winter. So...

I've been doing alot of research. ALOT of research. Now, I know which direction I want to head. I want a turbo with a "usable" powerband, not that 5000+rpm tire spinning bs. I want a turbo that spools at 3-4k so I can make some decent power early on. I'm shooting for close to 200hp, because after or close too the rods snap and I dont want to touch the internals of the engine just yet. First build, everybody gotta make mistakes and I wanna get them out now before I spend money on future projects.

I'm running the d15b, LX transmission (60mph/100kph in 2nd). I want the turbo to be INTERNALLY wastegated. I dont want that bov sound. Anyways, any suggestions? I was thinking the t25 off the nissan but I dont think it will produce enough power but I heard it would produce full spool at the sight of any load which is nice. Anything near that? Maybe something that spools top of first, mid second, and full boost through the gears around 3-4 or 2-3k?

If there is any other info anybody requires, let me know.

I was looking at these two and wondering if I could just change the turbo to an interal wastegate, if not I can live with the sound its not a problem.

92-95 Honda Civic CRX T3/T4 Turbo Kit D15/D16 D-Series on eBay.ca (item 260433938675 end time 20-Sep-09 20:10:18 EDT) I think this one is good

HONDA CIVIC 92-95 EG D T3/T4 T04E TURBO CHARGER KIT 93 on eBay.ca (item 180370713764 end time 16-Sep-09 23:25:27 EDT) I think this one sucks but is cheap

Let me know what you think, and don't tell me 'ebay sucks,' i know, so constructive criticism please as I'm not a bank nor grown on a money tree.

A t25 should suite your goals. I would try to find a good used turbo rather than an ebay unit. Most used turbos from a production car will be internally gated to start. Most of the components in those kits will be fine, except the turbo. It's pretty hard to screw up hoses and intercooler piping. Sometimes those manifolds can be prone to cracking, so its a good idea to brace them up. Make sure to spend the money and get some DSM injectos and tune the thing on some free software such as Crome.

yeah, but for $80 it's not that bad of a deal. nothing for major builds but for mild street/strip builds it wouldn't be bad

yea but like i said...
i want something with a usable powerband not just some high rpm show off tire squealing civic with no real world application

Okay, i'm gonna ask it again.
My goal is a turbo with a USABLE powerband for the d15. If i hit 200 or not doesn't matter, just so long it spools at a decent range and not at like 5500rpm for 1k to make an extra 60-70hp. So, if a .63 is good for that application then awesome. If not, please tell me which turbo might be better suited for my needs.

Thanks

stick with a t25. I have a .50 trim on my D16 and it spools at about 3500, .63 will call for a larger displacement which means longer spool time on your d15.

thank you, finally somebody who knows what they are talking about.
Next question, can I use those kits you see there and just swap out the turbo for t25?

Also, what kind of gains have you seen with the turbo? I was told they dont add too much power...

they will not add too much power....... just tune and run at 8-9psi on that turbo you should be fine. as long as you have a great tune a decent parts all should go well! you will be happy after turbo. i never m,et anyone who wasnt....lol

Not too sure if you can find kits to fit the t25, but its ebay im sure you could. But i would look for kits of a car that used Turbo, it requires a 5 bolt downpipe flange, and 2 bolt flange on the compressor housing to attach intercooler piping. Atleast the t25 i have sittin i my basement does. You can probably assemble a kit alot cheaper piece by piece then buying cheap kits from ebay.

As far as the power gains, now understand it wont be capable for say 300hp+ applications, but it should cut close to your goal with proper parts and tune.

Forgot to add, if you find me info useful dont forget to rep mee:D

Last edited:
Hate to say it but hondas make power in the top end generally. If u want decent tq and hp without the car falling on it's face then supercharge it

+rep to turborex
@matt: i know what you're saying, but every turbo around here that has a ebay kit is at full spool around 5500-6000. I'm looking for something that atleast starts spooling around 3-4ish and finishes by max 5ish. Considering when i shift from 6700-68, i drop down to about 38-4000(stock lx tranny) so when racing I can minimize turbo downtime

turbo downtime = Turbo Lag

I have lag with my .50, im actually considering downsizing turbos honestly.

Thanks for the rep though, But stick with a t25 IMO you should be able to spool up quick enough.

for the record, and internally gated turbo has NOTHING to do with a bov. the waste gate and bov do 2 different things.

t25's are real tiny. i'd recommend a t3 60-trim with a low a/r

i think i'm gonna go with the t25...see if any place will fab up a custom kit for cheap. of egay will be the way to go :'(

Back