Most HP Engine/manual transmission OBD1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I guess the transverse engine would still technically be a RMR, but the engine is so close to the rear wheel centerline that it virtually negates the benefits of RMR and IMO is more like a RR setup. The F20C would give better weight distribution and be more like what he has done before.

I'm not confused, I know they are both RMR, I just said that the F20C would offer better weight distribution. It would also give you a six speed gearbox.

K20A=6spd also. Like I said, the H22A and K20A setups are proven to work well(the mid-engine Honda's I've seen used the H22A, while other cars like the Ariel Atom and Lotus Elise have used the K20A). With all of the mods for the K20/K24(IIRC, they're already hitting 300whp on "street" builds), I'd go as far as to say the K20A is about on par with the F20C stock-wise, but when you start modding, K20A>F20C, and the K20/24 hybrid>F22C

Yes it's close, but not that close; the position makes a very noticeable weight transfer during turning and braking. All of the engine's weight is still on-board vs. having half of the engine on the rear wheel only. Plus, trying to get a longitude setup in a mid-engine car would require the car's body to be extended(look at the Lotus Elise, which has a transverse i4, and the Lotus Exige sport, which has a longitude v6). Longer car=more stability but also more weight, and not as agile in tight turns. You're also dealing with custom drivetrain work(with the setup you're talking about, you'd need a custom differential, some sort of driveshaft on coupler to the tranmission, and maybe a shorter transmission to begin with or extend the car...unless you're ok with a motor sitting next to you).

Last edited:
The K series is merely an updated version of the F20C, so while it might edge it out slightly technologically speaking, I'm willing to bet the K's are more expensive than the F20C. And I dont understand why you keep saying he'll have to "extend the car" or "sit next to the motor" He built a porsche with a Ford V8! Neither of your concerns are justified. I think the lower cost + better weight distribution makes the F20C a better choice.

Dude, the way the engine is positioned in the Porsche allows it to run a V8 without extending the car(Porches are rear-engine btw). Also, the F20C will cost way more to put in a mid-engine car vs a K20A. As stated before, the K20As and H22As have already been put in mid-engine cars and proven.

Also, the F22C is the updated version of the F20C, the K20A and F20C are both based off of the H22A/F20B engines.

Price wise, the K20A2 and the F20C can be had at around the same price; but with the F20C you'd need to modify or use a different transmission, transfer case(depending on the transmission), differential, etc.

Last edited:
Also, space in the X1/9:
x19dims.jpg

And the car is already mid-engined. pic of the engine bay:
505885_3_full.jpg

505885_4_full.jpg

The K20A would probably need new mounts, small stuff, etc. It's transverse just like the stock engine. The F20C on the other hand, would require that engine bay to be extended to fit it and the transmission in there.

Last edited:
I don't own a Honda, but I am sure you guys know your stuff. I am planing a project, its a light mid engine car and I need your opinion as to the best engine performance wise. It needs to be OBD-1, a 4 cylinder and a manual transmission. Engines which are not modified just out of the box stock. Can you help me choose an engine, and its for street driving.
I don't believe there is a K series that comes stock as OBD1.

Neither is the F20C. It's possible to convert them to OBD1 though(you'd just have to work out the ignition issue, which means using a independent ignition computer or somehow installing a distributor, and install a fixed timing gear).

On the other hand, the H22A did come in OBD1. Even OBD2 H22As can be converted easily to OBD1.

After seeing the size of this car, I realize that K2e2vin is right, transverse is the only way you can go. I thought the car was the same size as the porsche. Guess I ASSumed. If you gotta go transverse, In such a TINY car, I would say go B18C, but if you think you can cram an H-series into that micro-machine, go for it.

After further review, I doubt even the B-series will fit in there. You might have to go with a d-series or DOHC ZC.

Back