motherboard died

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

have you tried another video card? ive seen a bad video card hang up a system. and obviously you wont get any video if its bad either.

does the same thing with the video card removed.

it's either the power supply or bad cpu.

i'm getting a power supply because its the cheaper of the 2 next.

i currently have an ocz 600w. thats only 2 years old.

sounds like that could be the issue (psu).. what i would do personally is drop by a best buy or whatever, pick a beefy power supply and test it with the DFI first. If that boots, then return the power supply and then pack up the gigabyte board and return that too. then order a good power supply with the credit received from the gigabyte board. sounds like a hassle but itll save you from buying a shit power supply for a high price.

corsair and ocz both have their psu's made by FSP :)

correction. corsair psus are made by seasonic

Last edited:
orly? I know OCZ is good too - I did have a PC Power & Cooling psu come out of the box DOA though, which is why I went to a corsair. PC Power & Cooling is owned by OCZ now...

Plus my corsair psu came in this awesome plush bag with the corsair logo on it, I'm planning on making a shift boot out of it.

actually, ocz has alot of other OEM manfuct. make their power supplies.

AnandTech: 500W to 550W: 12 Power Supplies Compared

400 watt made by CWT and 500-600 watt made my Sirtec.

This is generally the case with most other power supply companies.

Corsair also uses CWT and Channel Well.

Channel Well Tech - The Corsair Support Forums

So the only way to really tell is take it apart or have a reviewer do it. But must agree, corsair makes some kick ass psu along with seasonic in general.

lol, psu + bag. seems odd to me, i dont usually take mine out and take it anywhere. lol

luckily, after all the issues i had getting a psu that didnt pop a fuse in 2004 i did learn that there are only 3 companies who's power ratings i trust. FSP, Seasonic and Antec.

Yeah it's like those liquors that come in the plush bags, like wtf?

It makes no sense, but it's pretty damn cool either way.

haha funny you should say that. antec's old truepower 2.0 years had a lot of problems. however, in the past couple years starting with the earthwatt and trio series, they are climbing back to the top.

i would add corsair and enermax to the reikoshea's list. OCZs are hit or miss with the rest of the companies.

oh yeah, i thought those bags were to store the modular cables youre not using? i have an older OCZ and those bags would come in handy for the modular cables im not using (FDD, 4Pin, etc).

For the price B, I would much rather grab this:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

That comes out to about $2-3 more expensive, but there is a rebate to bring it down. Read the online reviews from a good tech site. I think that FSP is good, but not for the price if iirc, that particular model is a few years old because I remember when the Bluestorm I came out it was around 2004-05.

*&*(&*(&(*& *t%^&%^&%#$%^#%&*((_*_)_(^$%^$#@$%#@%$^*%&

New power supply, old board.
-nothing
New power supply, new board
-nothing

New power supply, new ram, old board
-nothing
new power supply, new ram, new board
-nothing

plugged in the hdd each time, but no effect, and that's not more than afew months old anyway and would still boot regardless.

It's gotta be the cpu at this point...

but wtf. the board should still turn on even without a cpu in.

pulled the cpu and everything but ram and video card.
nothing in both boards.

so, wtf.

i changed wall outlets.
i bypassed my APC UPS.

nothing nothing nothing.

i've wasted so much god damn money on this pos and nothing.

If anyone wants parts, let me know.
i'm ordering something from dell in the morning. i'm so far behind on shit now because all my projects are on my main dead machine. :(

man that f**king sucks.... thats weird that the CPU went to. the only thing that comes to my mind is the power supply somehow shorted, blew up, or watever and took everything.

have you tried shorting the power pins to make sure its not the power button on the case?

if its any consolation, retail CPU usually carry a 3yr warranty, RAM is usually lifetime and power supplies are around 3-5 years.

my dfi board has power and reset buttons on the board itself.... so even not hooked into a case it can still be turned on.

i'm thinking its the cpu from day 1. the board is fine, the ram is fine, and the old power supply is fine.

i'm going to buy a core2duo on the cheap as a last ditch effort. if this doesn't work, there's nothing left to fix............ and it just makes no sense.

Back