motherboard died

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

the only thing holding me back on that is the 2 ram slots. would really like to have 4 slots as i have 4 1gb sticks.

the only thing holding me back on that is the 2 ram slots. would really like to have 4 slots as i have 4 1gb sticks.

your being picky for a guy with a $300 budget lol and besides 2 gig is plenty unless you running mad sick games or CAD or graphics progs

I predict capacitor failure within 6 months :ph34r:

or this one:

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Slightly better mobo manufacter (gigabyte) and much better chipset (785g).
785g has 4 things over 780:

-Completely hardware decode all HD videos (i think flash as well, check to make sure)
-HDMI output (very handy if you want to turn this combo in htpc because has the right parts)
-Slightly faster igpu (3200 vs 4200) with bumped core hz.
-Lastly most, if not all 785g has 710 south bridge that has ACC. ACC is a great bump to overclocking, but most importantly UNLOCKING cores, caches and multipliers.

785g chipset review:
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3615

Example of Unlocks:
1)AMD II X2 420 -> Opteron (18x multipler to 21x; free 600mhz bump)
2)AMD Phenom II X2 550 -> AMD Phenom II X4 (dual core to quad core)
3)AMD II X4 -> AMD Phenom II X4 (unlock 6mb L3 cache)
4)AMD II X3 -> AMD II X4 (tri core to quad core) or VERY lucky -> AMD Phenom II X4(tri core to quadcore with L3 Cache)

Of course, unlocking is like overclocking; depends on luck. But a lot of people have great success (over 50%) unlocking the extra cores and around 10-15% unlocking the extra core with L3 Cache.

I will post some results when I get a chance of my luck. Currently friend has AMD II X3 with MSI 785g board and waiting for me to help him build it.

Anyway, good luck B.

the one i posted has raidmax case and raidmax 450w psu. but would probably get a solid replacement psu anyway because combo case+psu usually have crappy psu's.

however even raidmax 450watt is okay and should tie you over because that combo wouldnt even come close to 200watt load.

maybe B doesn't care about unlocking cores and overclocking his chips...

personally I'd be interested in what works the best and is most reliable, not what is most likely to do something I don't care about.

did you even read my post? I listed 3 other reasons why I think the Gigabyte was better.

Its a newer chipset that is improved over the BioStar 780g, Gigabyte is Tier 1 vs BioStar Tier 2 board maker, HDMI, and full HD hardware acceleration.

I just listed the unlocking/overclocking as an extra and I realize not everyone is interested it in, especially when its a workstation. It was just an FYI.

No need to get all defensive - just saying, I doubt overclocking is anywhere near the forefront of the requirements here.

I don't like Gigabyte simply because mine fried. Literally(at the ATX connector).

Back