motherboard thread - spinoff from b's thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Battle Pope

For some reason, Win7 (running the release candidate, 32bit) doesn't like my motherboard. It's an MSI K9N Neo V3, nForce 560 chipset. Motherboard works fine, but occasionally when a program hangs and I have to force a reboot, the board will just "forget" it has a SATA controller till I power down and it detects it again on POST. I am running 2 hard drives and my optical drive from the onboard controller - which brings me to my other problem. Win7 won't access my optical drive. It's an LG dvdrw. Unlike the motherboard I have been able to verify (through MS's compatibility site) that the drive is supposed to work with win7. I assume it's a problem between windows and the sata controller.

None of these issues happen at all, or have ever happened on XP Pro SP3.

Could this just be because I'm using the RC version? I am planning on upgrading out of this motherboard but since I'm still unemployed it won't be anytime soon, so I want to make the best of it - and rebooting into XP to burn CDs or make backups is super dumb.

Full config:
MSI K9N Neo V3
Athlon64X2 3ghz
2gb ram (also needs upgraded)
Nvidia GTX295 (self-contained SLI)
Corsair 750watt psu
1x IDE, 2x sata hdds
sata dvdrw

I think it is (I recall checking it before) but if I change it to AHCI or whatever it is that I forget the acronym, it won't boot.

Some motherboards have an external sata controller. You might try changing around which sata ports you are using and make sure its the SouthBridge controlled ports.

Good idea, except the board only has 4 sata ports, and the cluster is in line with the PCI-E slot. If you've seen an nvidia gtx295, it's a behemoth. I can get straight-plug sata cables into the top 2 plugs, but the bottom 2 are completely obscured. I have only been able to find one 90-degree sata cable that has a low enough profile and the right plug alignment to fit. What I would do if I had the space is consolidate my data onto the 2 sata drives and just use my old IDE dvdrw - but I need the 250gb of space, and I don't understand why the sata burner won't work. My google-fu hasn't gotten me anywhere with this one.

mm. I have an Nforce4 with 2 IDE burners and 2 SATA HDD running Win 7 (32bit) just fine. A couple of suggestions:

-Check to see if there is a new BIOS for motherboard board/video card. If there is, see if it lists fixes for the issue. Even then, if youre comfortable with flashing, I would flash with the latest anyway because it could be a fix that they didnt list and/or know about. A couple of times, my video card BIOS needed an update because it would freeze or lock up the OS.
-See if there are any firmware updates for your burner. Also possible is if you have a Lite-On, Plextor or whatever, they can be rebadged and have modded firmware to work on the particular model of burner.
-Try to see if there are driver updates for your chipset and specifically for IDE controller. Sometimes default windows works better, sometimes chipset driver works better.
-As mentioned, check to make sure BIOS has enabled both SATA and IDE. I just helped a friend whose Pioneer IDE burner wasnt being recognized because the default had the device turned off.
-Also you can try reinstalling default drivers by going to device manager and uninstalling all IDE/SATA controllers. Then rebooting and let Windows detect and reinstall appropriate drivers.

Anyway, list the HDD and burner models and ill help you google-fu too.

Good luck.

Just tried switching the sata controller from IDE mode to AHCI, and both XP and 7 bluescreen on loadup, couldn't get the error cause the machine reboots too fast.

Nvidia hasn't released win7 drivers for the 560 chipset, but from what I'm seeing online everyone is saying the default drivers are fine and good. The best I can find from nvidia are vista drivers, which I understand to be the same thing, but they don't fix my problem. Right now I'm using the default win7 drivers.

I've updated the burner firmware - after doing that, win7 detects it and installs drivers at least, but locks up whenever I put a disc in or try to access the drive in any way.

There is a bios update for my board, but 1) I don't have a floppy drive, and 2) I've never flashed a board before and since I don't have money for a replacement I am hesitant to do anything that might brick it. If there's a way to flash the bios from a usb drive or something I might be willing to try it.

Both SATA and IDE are enabled in BIOS - as stated, I am using an IDE and 2 SATA hard drives, all are working fine.

IDE hdd: WD2500JB-00GVA0 western digital 250gb
SATA HDD1: ST3400620AS seagate (I think) 400gb
SATA HDD2: WD5000AAKS-22A7B2 western digital 500gb
SATA dvdrw: HL-DT-ST GH22NS30 (LG dvdrw with lightscribe)

I'll have to look up how to do that.

Also, for what it's worth, it's not win7 just not liking optical drives. I have a usb dvd drive that came with my wife's netbook and I just installed something with it just fine.

depending on your board, you can use winflash. some motherboards have alternatives that does in the OS environemnt. however, i recommend flashing via usb or in dos environment. if you need help or files, ill try to help you out. i just did it with an old foxconn that keep freezing because of the video.

and really stupid, but did you enable the correct jumpers for the IDE drives? how about uninstalling and rebooting the controllers?

There's only one IDE drive - which if I recall, is jumpered to cable select. The board only has a single IDE channel.

I uninstalled the motherboard drivers and am now using the default windows ones.

hrmm... it could very well be youre particular setup, it just doesnt like mixed IDE with SATA. It wouldnt hurt to move your IDE to master since all sata are "master" then if it doesnt work, move it to slave.

ill check my dfi board once i get home and see how i set it up because iirc, 2 out of the 4 sata ports dont like to be mixed with IDE because 2 sata is controlled by marvel and 2 are controlled my nvidia chip.

I am trying to pull enough data off my drives so I can pull out the IDE drive entirely, I just need to spend a few days pulling stuff over to the wife's machine over the network to burn onto dvds.

Again, the problem isn't with the hard drives - I am trying to get my damn dvdrw working. It works in XP just fine, I just can't figure out why it won't work in win7

well just did a quick google and it seems like all of the ide/sata is controlled by the nforce chip. i also checked nvidia and its odd that they have drivers that support 550 and up except 560. you can download and see if drivers will install. if not you can easy edit the .inf file and include the 560 chipset yourself. this has been done to a lot of video card drivers that initially didnt support the newest whql drivers.

second it seems that your msi supports OS GUI BIOS flashing and there have been a lot of updates recently.

MSI Global ? Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Mainboard, Graphics and more

i would just use the liveupdate (not online version) and turn off all firewalls and a/v so your system is as stable as possible when flashing. ive used winflash and asus live flash without fail (however, as mentioned if not comfortable, use DOS USB flash method).

haha yeah sorry, i was intially confused because of this:

I am running 2 hard drives and my optical drive from the onboard controller - which brings me to my other problem. Win7 won't access my optical drive. It's an LG dvdrw. Unlike the motherboard I have been able to verify (through MS's compatibility site) that the drive is supposed to work with win7. I am running 2 hard drives and my optical drive from the onboard controller - which brings me to my other problem. Win7 won't access my optical drive. It's an LG dvdrw. Unlike the motherboard I have been able to verify (through MS's compatibility site) that the drive is supposed to work with win7. [/qoute]

and i re-read and understand now that you have 3 hdd, 2 on sata, 1 on ide and 1 sata burner. and burner is fucked.

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing out that liveupdate thing - updated the bios and the MFer works now, ye gods! Gotta download me some burning software and see if it'll burn a disc now.

great! were you able to install new drivers for your 560? they seem really recent, Oct 2009. might luck out and itll install without much hassle even though its not on the supported list.

99.9% of the time if you have the OS installed when the disc is in IDE mode, and you change it to ACHI it will make the computer BSOD. thats normal. you usually have to reload the OS when changing HDD configuration.

Back