motor choices

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hello, i am new to the swaping of import engines and would like some opinions or facts, i have a 94 civic ex coupe, it has a D16Z6 with an automatic trans, i want to do a swap very soon but i do not want any smog problems as of yet, the question i have is which one will work for me now, and will i be able to build the motor later and achive the hp. that will make me happy, basicly for now i want a (leagal) daily driver, i also want to convert to 5 spd., what should i look at buying. i am in las vegas nv and i am not positive on the laws.

thanks

Buy a 94+ B16/18 and swap it in. If it's US spec it will pss no problems anywhere. Both are good motors, and can be built up later on to make good power. Or you could go the LS route and get yourself a B18B, which can also be made into a hell of a turbo application, or built N/A.

ok, now if i am looking for a B18 , witch one would i look for, i know everyone says gsr,gsr,gsr, but they all say jspec, but this will abviousely pose a problem for smog, do i just ask for an american gsr motor, and what is the diference in the trannys, is it just gear ratio ?

thanks

cali = smog. i doubt nevada has half as strict laws as they do.

that's the first thing to check.

but, usdm motors are plentiful as well.

if i were you, i'd pick up a usdm 94 or 95 obd1 b18c1 integra GSR motor.
hmotorsonline.com has them for about 3200 + s/h

differences in tranny's, while mostly gearing, there are other issues too. different differentials, ring gears, and other technobable that really won't make a difference to a normal person just looking for a new motor, and basic i/h/e mods after the swap.

cool , thank you for the help in making my choice, im sure i will have more questions when it comes time to do the actual swap, thanks again . :D

for the auto to manual conversion there is one little diffrence between auto and manual chassis. On the transmission mount of the automatics, the bracket goes up on an angle. On Manual chassis, that bracket just goes straight out. The problem is you have about a 2 inch gap bewteen the mount and the transmission.

You have 2 ways you can solve this problem. One is to go to a junkyard, cut a manual trans bracket off and weld it back onto your car. I think that there is too many steps involved in this and result in a mistake somewhere. Second option is to buy an aftermarket mount. The last auto to manual coversion that I did, I used a mount from Place Racing. It is taller then OEM tranny mounts, and it solves the problem.

As for other wiring, you have to wire up the reverse lights, and then so you can actually start the car, you can either just loop the wire that says the car is in park, or harder way is to actually connect it to the clutch pedal.

Then once you do that, it is a normal swap

Originally posted by asmallsol@Jan 31 2004, 04:21 PM
for the auto to manual conversion there is one little diffrence between auto and manual chassis. On the transmission mount of the automatics, the bracket goes up on an angle. On Manual chassis, that bracket just goes straight out. The problem is you have about a 2 inch gap bewteen the mount and the transmission.

You have 2 ways you can solve this problem. One is to go to a junkyard, cut a manual trans bracket off and weld it back onto your car. I think that there is too many steps involved in this and result in a mistake somewhere. Second option is to buy an aftermarket mount. The last auto to manual coversion that I did, I used a mount from Place Racing. It is taller then OEM tranny mounts, and it solves the problem.

As for other wiring, you have to wire up the reverse lights, and then so you can actually start the car, you can either just loop the wire that says the car is in park, or harder way is to actually connect it to the clutch pedal.

Then once you do that, it is a normal swap

You can also order the bracket from Honda, they aren't too expensive, and it will save you the trouble of cutting one out of a car in a junkyard. There's one for sale on Honda-tach too.

EngineFit5.jpg

Actually the T means turbo! ;)

P.S.
I have 2 in stock not including the one pictured here in the Berreta. I'll post up some more pics of the EG hatchback with a 4G63T when we get it in.

those cam gears are the size of my flywheel.

Back