Motor Inspection

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Zerosk8r455

I'm gonna be looking for a b16 soon. Found a shop. Orient Motors in Sd, CA. How should i go about checking the motor? What does a motor check consist of? What do i look for? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

first things first, check to see if there are any broken sensors, make sure the wiring harness is good and do a compression check, that should get you going in the right direction.

first impressions mean a lot.
how dirty is it?
does the block have oil / drit residue on it?
does it appear to be leaking form the head gasket- or was it at one time?
DOES IT COME WITH PAPERS???
is the valve cover all chipped to shit?

open the oil cap and smell- does it smell like gas or coolant? it should only smell of oil.

compression test and leakdown test are a must- and the shop should do this at your request. if they refuse, or charge you, go somewhere else.

also check the condition of the timeing belt. Yes you must replace this no matter what but if it is extremly hacked up and looks like it is going to break, I can tell you right now that engine has way more then the 30-40k everyone always claims.

Thank you guys very much. I'll probably be going there next week so now i hopefully have an idea of what to look for. Thanks again. God Bless.

Back