1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

motor is dying when i come to a stop

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by eg6sir, Jul 24, 2006.

1. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

yea.. well the other day when i was coming to a stop my rpms kept falling and stuttered then shut off.. .so i started back up and no problems.. and today several times its died on me when stopping, but it starts right up afterwards.. it just started to do this yesterday... any ideas.. i'm kinda leaning towards the fuel pump but not too sure..

2. VTECin5th

VTECin5th Administrator

Do you have your AC on?
    It sounds like something is draining your battery or a vacuum problem (like brake booster/vacuum leak).. maybe alternator?
    My prelude used to stall when i'd step on the brakes too hard?

3. eg6sir

i dont even have AC.. i dont even need to be hitting the brakes.. i can take it out of gear and let the rpms drop and it'll studder then just about die.. sometimes actually turn off completly

4. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

5. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

any codes?
    how old is your fuel filter?

6. eg6sir

no codes.. and the fuel filter was replaced less than 10,000 mi. ago

it doesn't do it all of the time.. it didnt do it earlier, we'll see.. i just keep driving it and if it starts doing it more often then i'll do something about it.. until then maybe we can come up with the solution to the problem

7. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

i suspect you'll be getting a code in the near future
    sounds like possibly IACV on its way out

8. 1995EGGuy

1995EGGuy Senior Member

I have the same problem i checked everything! nothing... i think its the igniter in the dizzy.. which somebody had told me it causes that problem usually.

9. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

hmmm, usually when honda dizzy's go they will run till they get warm, then shut down until they cool off...
    they usually will not restart right away

10. GSRCRXsi

GSRCRXsi Super Moderator Moderator VIP

in having the same problem, looking for more insight on the actual cause. are you running a chipped ecu or anything? because im having the problem but its on the new motor with a new basemap but im not sure if that could be the cause.

when i take it out o f gear the rpms will fall and the car dies. but if i keep my foot on the gas slightly to keep the rpms up, its fine. is this the case for you too?maybe its the IACV? it makes sense to me. maybe my rolling idle is too low? i have it at like 700-800 maybe raising it will help?

11. eg6sir

i dont have a chipped ecu either.. its pretty stock.. i'll check the IACV later tonight.. maybe it will have cooled off.. its like 113 right now..

12. civic93

civic93 Junior Member

check the wires on the tps and map onthe throttle body? had one wire pullout and do the same thing

13. eg6sir

i'll check those... i was foolin around in there the other day, but i dont think i went by those wires at all.. but i'll check

14. civic93

civic93 Junior Member

start the car and go under the hood and wiggle the wire and see if dyes

15. DwnShftPrincess

DwnShftPrincess Senior Member

could be your egr valve too. like almost everyone else said, dizzy or iacv also

16. eg6sir

i dont have an EGR valve.. i wiggled the wires around on the TPS and it did nothing.. i'll pull the IACV tomorrow and clean it...

17. MikeBergy

MikeBergy Blah blah blah....

Ian, your map is most likey off at idle. try getting a stock basemap and loading the idle area of the map onto your basemap. I did that, and my idle problem is 95% fixed. I had the same problem, but it only happened when the car was warming up. If the engine was cold, the FITV was doing it's thing, all was good. But as soon as that FITV opened up, if the engine wasn't quite warm enough, it would stall on me coming to a stop.

As for eg6sir's problem, most likely an IACV problem. Check for vacuum leaks as well, if the problem happens regardless of engine temp, and just started doing it out of the blue, a vacuum leak could be leaning out the mixture at idle.

18. flydex28

flydex28 Senior Member

Might check the PCV valve as well. The one on my old engine went bad...plugged with oil actually, but it did the exact same thing. Once I changed it out never died again. Worth checking plus they are cheap.

19. GSRCRXsi

GSRCRXsi Super Moderator Moderator VIP

mike, im not sure its the map. afr's are good at idle 12.5-13 (rich but not rich enoughtto cause these problems) it will cause problems when it warms up, vey few problems when cold. maybe IACV for me too.

20. MikeBergy

MikeBergy Blah blah blah....

You don't want idle afr's to be at 12.5-13. That is way too rich for idle. Try pasting a stock idle onto your map and see what happens. It's odd, but the idle portion of the map just seems very touchy on these hondas. even a minor change in fuel to a section near the idle sometimes caused my idle to start loping. I switched to a stock idle, now I never have any surging or loping. Try it, you have an ostrich don't you?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted