Motor Mount question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Si_AN_B-Eazy

Car: 1995 Integra LS
Engine: B16a2
Tranny: Stock Rebuilt LS tranny with ~5kmi

I noticed that there is a harsher-than-usual jerk accompanied by what sounds like the engine/trans jolting about when the clutch is engaged quickly at anything about ~1,500 rpm and up. The car experiences 8,500 rpm every now and then so I was thinking I might need a new mount, probably a trans mount. Also, I have noticed it is hard to put into first and reverse (with a slight grinding in reverse). I know about the mechinism that keeps you from putting the car in first while rolling but it has trouble going into first in all scinerios. I thought this might be the result of the tranny being out of alignment because of a damaged mount.
Any advice on what the trouble is? Any suggestions on mounts and/or brands?
Thanks in advance!

Yeah, that sounds like it could definitely be a damaged mount.

Oh, and why are you using an LS tranny on a B16? That's probably the worst B-series engine/tranny combo out there. The B16 has high-end horsepower, but no low-end torque. The LS gearbox is designed for a motor that's opposite of that.

The next step is boost so the LS tranny with the longer gears will work great. I'm thinking I'm going to have to lower the compression when I boost so I'm stuck waiting for VTEC to kick-in in the meantime... I will also need an lsd $$$$$$$ :(

The longer gears = better for boost theory isn't necessarily true. Shorter gears means faster acceleration, no matter what...

And as far as lowering compression goes, it really depends on how much power you want to make. If you're keeping the boost fairly low and you get it tuned well you shouldn't have any problems on a stock B16. You could always pull the head off and throw in a block guard and some ARP studs for extra insurance.

I concur on the LSD being a good idea.

What are your power goals exactly?

I know the general consensus says that Honda motors cant hold high power reliably so I think I should stear clear of the 300s and shoot for ~250 whp since I dont want to preactically build a new motor in order to handle the power. Really I just want what everyone wants, a reliable and fast car. I wont be tracking it often so I was thinking of running like 5-8 lbs daily.

I figured I would need to lower the comp. since the B16 is 9:1, 10:1 or something like that and the motor is tourqless enough at low rpm as it is.

What do you mean by block gaurd? A headgasket spacer or someting?

Back