Motor Oil

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SolidDreamz

Someone told me they put 90 weight motor oil in there honda and it stopped burning oil. My rings are bad in my 93 civic but im trying to hold out until i get more loot for a swap, but will 90w do more harm then good? Im using 50w now and it blows smoke good when i punch it or make a right turn. feel bad for cars behind me....lol tell me what u think?

If you are blowing by bad enought that 50w is burning 90w isn't going to do much. How on earth did you burn those rings up so bad?

Replace the rings. Oil in your combustion chamber and through your exhaust valves is not a good thing.

I rebuilt the top end of my motor and not the bottom. Somone told me forsome reason when you dont do both at the same time especially on a higher mileage motor the bottom end goes bad (rings). Id replace the rings but too expensive especially if i plan on doing an engine swap. IS the b16a2 worth the extra money compared to the b16. I know b16 is like 1250 where the 92-95 second gen b16a2 is around 2200. 160hp compared to 170 i think. Im pressed on money and i need another motor soon. should i just go with the older b16?

If your car is pre 92 then the B16A is fine. Otherwise you need an OBD1 engine and a hydro tranny. The B16A is an OBD0 engine and has a cable tranny.

I have a 93 honda civic. What gen motor would be ideal for it? My car is obd1 right? Which b16's are obd1. What would you swap?

Originally posted by SolidDreamz@Mar 9 2003, 08:56 PM
I have a 93 honda civic. What gen motor would be ideal for it? My car is obd1 right? Which b16's are obd1. What would you swap?

get the b16sirII it is obd1 and so is your car. the b16sirII and the b16a3 (kinda rare) are the obd1 b16s. personally i would do the sirII, it is already obd1 and you do not need to get the hasport mounts to make an older b16 tranny to work. if you bought the first gen b16 you would need to convert it to obd1, change the tranny or by a hasport kit, and by the time you do that you will probably pay as much as the sirII.

as for the oil burning, a higher weight wont do much except make it harder for your engine and cylinders to turn. you need to try some of that stuff that reconditoins your seals and rings. there is some stuff called CD-2 i think. its an additive you pour in while the engine is warm (and turned off), then immediately drive it to get it circulating.

in my old d16a6 engine i had 217,000 miles when i swaped it out and it blew smoke just like yours does. i went to the local autoparts store and got a can of engine-restore. it is in a silver can (kinda like coors lite) and i definitely noticed a difference in how it ran as well as the amount of smoke that was being burned.

Back