motor swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civikguy1995

I bought a b18a1 and b16 head that I am planning to swap into my 95 ex civic to have a ls vtec motor is this a good idea or a bad idea and some experences with this swap and if it is a really hard swap to complete keep in mind this is my very first swap just looking for some insite thank you

ls vtec, sounds good

It depends on the research you do before. Do you have a garage to work in? Do you have to daily-drive the car you are working on? Read this....

B-series engine parts are largely interchangeable. This allows for custom engines to be built with characteristics unlike any factory model. Any B-Series VTEC cylinder head component will fit in any other B-SeriesVTEC cylinder head, so installing a Type-R (B16B or B18C5) camshaft into a GS-R motor will yield noticeable power gains. The higher-compression Integra Type-R pistons are a good choice for a bump in power, and also have an anti-friction coating and better oiling characteristics.
Also, complete Frankenstein motors (motors made from parts of others) are possible; these are also known as LS/VTEC or CR/VTEC, depending on the bottom end used. It is popular to take the large displacement, high-torque B18B (or B18A) bottom end and mate it to a high-flow B16 (PR3) or B18C (P72 or PR3) top end to make a very powerful custom motor. One problem however is the LS (B18A or B18B) and CR-V (B20B or B20Z) blocks used for LS/VTEC or CR-VTEC conversions are more prone to fail at high RPMs because the rod bolts and long stroke were not designed to withstand the high engine speeds that VTEC heads are optimized for. The LS/VTEC configuration is logically what Honda would have first considered when designing the B18C1, but they saw a reason to reduce the stroke, reinforce the bottom end, and add oil squirters to help cool it. The reduction in the stroke came at the cost of lowering the displacement from 1834 cc to 1797 cc, but helped enable the benefit of reliable 8100 RPM operation.

Sooooooooo, yeah its a good idea, i think.:ph34r: i wish I had more money for this stuff......

Read read read.

Make sure you read the LS/Vtec buildup threads so you are sure to build it and use all the proper parts.

Fuck VTEC..just drop in the LS and put throw some cams in it. It'll be like having vtec all the time! :D..and if your worried about fuel economy by a hybrid.

Back