mounting a Vortech SC in A/C location

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

seanjuan

I'm going to be removing my A/C pretty soon because it's broke and I don't plan on spending money to fix it. I saw a some pictures a while back about a guy that mounted a Vortech SC in the old A/C location and thought this was a pretty good idea if I end up supercharging.

anyone know of any sites that detail how this is done or have opinions on if this is a good idea or not

thanks
Sean

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 24 2004, 11:30 AM
um, why not just mount it as it comes?

or do youself the real favor, and buy a turbo instead
[post=380984]Quoted post[/post]​

I figured that if it could be done that way i could get buy with just buying the compressor and do all the piping custom. also it seems like mounting one there would be easier for running a standard intercooler instead of the "powercooler" that vortech sells.

more than likely though, if I go SC I would get a JR unit

but I was just kicking ideas around in my head

get a turbo
same price, beter performance. you're stupid not to

pissedoff really don't like no supacharga

but if you really wanna know, call up vortech and ask them if it would work or shoot em a email. but be careful if you go sc, because next year i will be going for the title of fastest fo doe' on HS per some type of snailshell :ph34r:

I removed my A/C so I could comfortably fit a turbo in my engine bay. Putting a vortech blower there will be more harmful than anything, because the intake charge is going to have to be blown past your stock manifold, unless you are going to get real stupid with the plumbing. If that is the case, then why not just mount it in the stock location? You're like those redneck guys who put turbochargers in their trunk. Sure you could do it, but why add all that complication?

It's possible that you were looking at a Powerdyne s/c setup. They place the blower down where the A/C compressor usually is.

I was pretty sure it was a vortech blower but I could be wrong. at any rate, just thought I'd see if anyone else had seen or read anything about this.

the thought had crossed my mind to use a vortech supercharger in the A/C location to spin a turbo mounted next to it and then put some NOS injectors into the FMIC that I would mount in a JDM bumper with a Mugen lip.... etc. I think you get the point

a simple "I haven't seen that" would have sufficed.

later

Back