1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to NorCal (SF Area)

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by awptickes, Dec 26, 2007.

1. awptickes

awptickes unimpressed by you VIP

It's very possible that I could/will be moving to the San Fransisco area within the next year. What's it like? How's the air quality?

A few other questions, as I haven't lived in the states in a while now:
    Can a EDM car be 'imported'?
    How are the roads there?
    Any good colleges within commute of SF?
    How are foreigners greeted? (I'm american, but I've essentially grown up in Europe, so I tend to be very european.)
    How's the wine selection?
    What's the average cost of a pint of local beer?

Do the cops in the states really chase you if you speed past them? Srsly.

2. 93civicracer

93civicracer Oh, I do a little here and there.

Some will, some won't. Everyone tends to drive at least 5 mph over the limit. 40 mph is an understood 45 ;). The limit is the minimum, not really a "limit" as you'll probably be told when/if you have to take a US license test.

3. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

if theres one state you're going to have a problem with getting your car into, its going to be cali....

why do you want to move there?

4. awptickes

I don't want to move there to tell the truth. I love Germany with all my heart. But, my parents might be moving there, and because of the way (complicated and involves the military) I came to europe to begin with, I'll have to go back to the states with them.

5. 93civicracer

93civicracer Oh, I do a little here and there.

Same here I was born on an airbase Okinawa, Jp but don't remember much we moved to Texas when I was 3. Wish we could have went anywhere but here, like New York or something :D Texas is butt ugly.

6. awptickes

How's the job market in SF? I just thought about that.

IT related jobs

7. Celerity

Celerity Well-Known Member

EDM in California: No. You can, however, register any car in Maine, without having an address in there. The key is: PAY YOUR LOCAL TAXES ON THE CAR. California will HATE you and you WILL be pulled over every 10 minutes.
    Roads in Cali are ok, mostly. Lots of money thrown at them over the past 10 years. That said, not with EDM tires. (EDM Tires aren't allowed in California, at all. MUST have DOT markings on them)
    Americans love europeans.
    Wine ? Well... at least you're near Napa Valley. You'll hate the wines here, but Napa Valley has some good selections.
    Beer is about $4-$6 a glass in Sanfran.

If you're going to bring a Euro car here, Maine (or some states, like mine) will register it as "Manufacturer or Model Unknown". I had a Nissan Micra that way in CT.

If you need to bring something exotic here (like a Smart or otherwise) there is an importer in LA that's reasonable. I can set you up with others in the area that you're welcome to talk to (I have no connections on the west coast).

If you bring me a SECMA from France, I will take care of everything for you :)

8. awptickes

Wow, that's a lot more information than I was expecting. This community never ceases to amaze me.

So, I guess I'll register it in the NE area, then get pulled over. Sounds good to me. Heh.

9. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

i could lay so many gay jokes here, but i'll pass. lol

10. Black Widow g2

Black Widow g2 *princess*

Well, it's foggy in SF, it's cold in winter, it's pretty a lot of the time, but yes, it's smoggy. You can import your car if you want, not sure how much it will cost you. Roads are crap, lots of traffic in SF (being honest with you here) but, they are constantly improving them. (Which is good and bad)

People in SF are crazy sometimes, but, they're generally nice to everyone there considering it's the capital for gay pride. The average cost of a pint of 'local' beer would be about 5 to 9 bucks depending on the bar/store. There are a few good schools in the SF Bay Area. UCSF, UCSC, SJSU... I could go on, but the best one is Stanford. :) As for the wine selection... Lodi has some great ones too, but there's lots of fun stuff to do all around the NorCal area...

I've lived all over NorCal, actually.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted