Mp3 collections, how do you organize them?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRX-YEM

Super Moderator
VIP
Ok , I've got a descent sized Mp3 collection about 2500 songs ~ 15Gb of data
so, how does one organize their collection, I've been just using windows and making a directory structure hiearchy like
MP3 Folder
|- Band Name
| |--Album name
| |--Album name
|-Band Name
|- Album name

but when the directory has over 300 folder for just band names things get a little
hard to sort thru really quickly.

I use winamp with album list to help kinda create a music library.

what do all you folks use to organise your collections, and let's not turn this into a pissing contest about oh I have more mp3's than you blah, blah ,blah.

I just wanna know how you tame your collection, and waht software might be useful, and if it integrates into winamp that would be sweet too.

Originally posted by CRX-YEM@Apr 18 2004, 10:03 PM
Ok , I've got a descent sized Mp3 collection about 2500 songs ~ 15Gb of data
so, how does one organize their collection, I've been just using windows and making a directory structure hiearchy like
MP3 Folder
|- Band Name
| |--Album name
| |--Album name
|-Band Name
|- Album name

but when the directory has over 300 folder for just band names things get a little
hard to sort thru really quickly.

I use winamp with album list to help kinda create a music library.

what do all you folks use to organise your collections, and let's not turn this into a pissing contest about oh I have more mp3's than you blah, blah ,blah.

I just wanna know how you tame your collection, and waht software might be useful, and if it integrates into winamp that would be sweet too.

My arrangement is 'unique'. I only have trance compliations so my archive goes as such... Main directory is the album name, under that are the subdirectories for each disc and the disc name. In each of those directories are the songs themselves, with the track number, artist name and track name. My ID3 tags are set up so the artist name is the album name, and the song title is the artist name and song name. I do this to get full search and ID3 display from my car's MP3 changer.

Such as:

/Gatecrasher Experience
/Gatecrasher Experience/Disc 1 - The Science
/Gatecrasher Experience/Disc 2 - The Power
/Gatecrasher Experience/Disc 3 - The Karma
/Gatecrasher Digital Trance
/Gatecrasher Digital Trance/Disc 1 - LED Percussion
/Gatecrasher Digital Trance/Disc 2 - Widescreen Power

ID3 tags are like this:

Artist: Gatecrasher
Title: Scott Bond vs Solarstone - 3rd Earth
Album: Resident Transmission 02

The changer only displays one line from the ID3 tag at a time, so the title (default) gets artist and track info.

Cliffs Notes: My mp3 arrangement is screwy.

find a program called DR. Tag plus. it will help you out with sorting your mp3's as it will use the Free Online Music Database to correctly tag your files. or you could get musicmatch jukebox plus and it will do the same thing, and i really enjoy how my library is organized with musicmatch.

only recently have i started sorting music into folders for respective artist/album, and i wish i had done it sooner, but those programs help alot when you are surfing your comp for music.

I myself don't really care for the ID3 tag , I've never come acros a program that loads a directoy of mp3's that have track numbers in the correct order.

so to elaborate my tructure
MP3 Folder
|- Band Name
| |--Album name
| | |-- 01 track name
| | |-- 02 track name
| |
| |--Album name
|-Band Name
|- Album name

etc.. etc..

I name each track with the track number so it gets played in the correct oder.

I'm alos not a fan of music match. maybe I need to explore ID3 tags a bit more.

simple.

I got 6 folders:

Alternative
Classic Rock
Tecno
Rap Shit
Old School
Screwed (dj screw)

i place all respective mp3's in each folder, and when I wanna hear a particular genre of music, I just open the folder in winamp.

altho, lately I been lagging, and I just open MY SHARED FOLDER and load up whatever I got off of kazaa.

Neighbors must think Im weird when I blast screwed and chopped music...then all of a sudden "Uncle John's Band" comes on :lol:

i only have albums.. i arrange them by author and album name, in a specified alphabetical order..

say i want to find "J-Kwon - Hood Hop" i'd go to my "J" folder, then find the album..

Hmm, I have iTunes on my PC and Mac. I let iTunes handle it for me; it copies everything I rip into it's own folder structure that it organizes and manages. If I ever need to find a specific file i can use my windows explorer. the folders get organized by artist, then album.

i have mine organized the same way as you crx-yem. i've been doing it manually, along with others from work. we have a server with 40gig of music the deparment downloads to. for the most part its organized but there are still some 2k songs taht are unsorted. its a pain :(

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Apr 18 2004, 11:04 PM
simple.

I got 6 folders:

Alternative
Classic Rock
Tecno
Rap Shit
Old School
Screwed (dj screw)

i place all respective mp3's in each folder, and when I wanna hear a particular genre of music, I just open the folder in winamp.

altho, lately I been lagging, and I just open MY SHARED FOLDER and load up whatever I got off of kazaa.

Neighbors must think Im weird when I blast screwed and chopped music...then all of a sudden "Uncle John's Band" comes on :lol:

Mine is basically the same way, i got all the different genres of mucid, and the MP3s are sorted alphabetically in there, so it isnt hard to find them.

putting them in catagories is nice but it still doesn't help structure over 2500 songs. I'm really wondering what and how B. does it as I know he's got a shit load of mp3 data to keep oganized.

and B16 yes it is a pain, and doing it manually sorts things exactly how you want them, imho there's no better way unless some program can do it like I do.

I notice iTunes someone metioned works for them, I might try itunes for windows maybe ??

I use iTunes (which is now availible for windows) and it automaticly arranges my music in folders, first by artist, then by album name. It works out real well, I am super happy with it.

Originally posted by CRX-YEM@Apr 19 2004, 09:04 AM
I'm really wondering what and how B. does it

:lol:

c:\docs and settings\brian\my docs\mp3\

1 huge folder.

But I'm ANAL about how my list looks.

Artist Name - Track Name.mp3
or
Artist Name - Track Name (ft. Some Dude).mp3
or
Artist Name - Track Name (unplugged).mp3

I did the folder thing, and all it did was lead to massive amounts of doubles.

did I mention i HATE ID3 tags? I erase them ALL. filename only for me.

still, i had shit like

Bon Jovi - Live - living on a ranch
and
Bone Jovi - Living on a ranch (live)

and shit. you gotta keep a naming convention :)

I do what B does, except I rewrite all the ID3 tags. I'm sure I've got just as messy a collection as he does. Most of my stuff is dumped onto CD now, as I don't really listen to music on my computer. Here's my system though:

A-C
D-F
G-I

etc...

Then just dump into folders like B. :lol:

Personally this works for me:
s408598699c41e.jpg

Back