MPG and modification.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Well let me know if you pull the d13, ill be more then happy to buy that gas mileage ass bastard off your hands, d13 in my 97 coupe, im all about the downgrade for gas mileage no joke.

I will say that getting a header will not help your mpg. It's about port velocity. A header will lower your exhaust gas velocity and you won't get very good low end power because you will lose the strength of your exhaust pulses.

I currently have an HF, and the gas mileage isn't all that I thought that it would be. I absolutely baby the thing for an entire tank, I'm talking tailgate city, and I still only have averaged 45mpg as a high for my tank.

I will say that I typically cruise 60-65mph which is a little higher than the 55mph that it was designed for. I need to adjust the alignment, because I think that it's a little toe out.

I also have an aluminum flywheel, underdrive pulley, and cam gear set to 0*, low pro (205/40 R16) tires for less rolling resistance, and run full sythetic. I did rering it too, but I need to do a compression sometime to make sure that it's all good.

I have a megan racing (4-2-1) header on it to testpipe to 2.25-2.5" ss exhaust. Someday I'm going to swap it out with the stock one (stock one is hacked at the collector area so it needs some repair).

If you are looking to get good mpg and a fast car, I would look making a hybrid trans... putting a hf 5th gear into another trans to get that nice low rpm for highway cruising.

I dont know if the header will change any, the more the car can flow the less it has to work, the less gas you need to use. But it wont change a whole lot. Probably not even noticable.

The header is actually the most effective mod you can make on a Honda if you're just making external airflow mods. It's quite a bit more effective than an intake or an exhaust.

Sure you can, maybe wont do anything tho. The aftermarket adjustable cam gears are usually lighter, but is useless unless you have aftermarket camshafts, which will not give you better MPG.

Adjustable cam gears are very useful, even on a stock setup. With the single cam engines, they allow you to move your torque curve up and down through the rev range. You can adjust for higher torque down low, which would give you more off the line punch, or you can adjust your torque curve higher up in the rev range which will give you more top end power.

OK OK I'M Here i should keep my d13b or change to d15b vtec or d16 vtec .
witch one will give me more MPG on the EF.

Keep the smaller stock D13 engine, do all the air mods (intake header exhaust) which will increase your volumetric efficiency and give you better gas mileage. You can't constantly stick your foot in it once you find the extra power though! Drive the same as before and you'll get better gas mileage.

Smart words from a smart man. I figured the gears were a waste on a stock setup, also i knew that a header would give good flow and velocity and HP, i just didnt think it help his MPG.

<p>
Smart words from a smart man. I figured the gears were a waste on a stock setup, also i knew that a header would give good flow and velocity and HP, i just didnt think it help his MPG.

You can read about exhaust scavaging for more information as to how a header functions.

OK thanks guys..
My engine say D13b its a japanese one its from the 2000 honda logo and its look like a d16y from the coupe 96 and the tranny its from a D15b engine.

but i think i need another person to fix my engine cuz when i ask to the man who tune my car for the O2 sensor he just say naaa forget about it its a crap. so what do u think i need to change the man lol.

Back