MPs cracking down on Drifting in Oki

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

YangpaNemsay

Leave it to the Americans to ruin things over in Japan

http://www.estripes.com/article.asp?sectio...46&archive=true

Good thing I'm not planning to be stationed in Okinawa anytime soon.

A few quotes from the article from a Master Sergeant:
“Part of it is the thrill of almost crashing and burning,†the master sergeant said. “Frankly, with spectators standing on the sidewalks and cars parked nearby, I am surprised no one’s been killed.â€

The master sergeant said his team spent five nights observing the drifting in Irijima, an industrial park in the city of Urasoe. Drivers race from 11 p.m. to 4:30 a.m. or so “any night of the week, rain or shine,†he said. Lookouts at key intersections use cell phones and flashing car headlights to warn if Okinawa police approach. They also signal when crashes occur.

^ I thought that quote was kinda Bullshit because I hear that the Street Drifters over there flash their high beams to warn oncoming drifters of any accidents or spinouts from the drifters that had went through the corner prior.

I also heard that the Police over in Japan are more leniant on Drifters than they are on Street Drag Racers.

Accidents are how the Marine MPs caught on to the sport, the master sergeant said: “We found ourselves investigating accident complaints where the damage to the cars just didn’t match the stories being told.†Car owners, to claim insurance for drifting damage, reported their cars were involved in hit-and-run parking-lot mishaps.

^ Damnit! You guys ruined it all!!!!

There are a bunch of other quotes I wanted to post, but i'll let you guys check out the article.

Cliff Notes:
1. Military Police over in Okinawa are impounding vehicles of US servicemen caught on hidden video during late-night Street Drifting.
2. Military Police blowing it up to crazy proportions and are totally overreacting IMO

The popular activity even has made its way into the high schools, he said. “We had one high-schooler who was drifting his vehicle on base and turned his car over on its side,” Delaney said. “And we had 10th-graders drifting on the golf course, wrecking golf carts.”

LOL! :lol:

Oh well. 1. They shouldn't have been making false insurance claims. 2. And drifting should be kept on the tracks and not on public streets. If an American had hurt any of the locals while drifting, all hell would have broken loose. Aren't tensions high between the two groups anyway because of some past reported rape incidents?

Originally posted by YangpaNemsay@Dec 23 2004, 01:04 AM
In Japan?
[post=436262]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes. The Japanese locals HATE having that military base there, probably it's more of the older population than the younger people. Also years ago, a serviceman was accused of raping a local girl. So anyway, the military police are very diligent in trying to keep the order and peace.

Oh no, they are trying to cut down on accidents caused by idiots who can't drive, or exceed their capabilities, and the collateralle cost to all of us, by GASP!!! cracking down on drifting?!??!?! The bastards.

Back