MSD Ignition

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MoSeS

ok, i need some reccomendations on what kind of ignition upgrade i should go with on my civic. i know most people use MSD but i just got back from their website and i was completely lost. so any suggestions on what kind of setup i should be looking at would be helpful. also if any of you have a setup that you use let me know how it works for you.

Depending on power levels, built motor, nitrous, etc - ignition upgrades vary. But guessing from the fact you are kind of a novice to the stuff, your upgrades are probably limited. Correct me if I'm wrong.

MSD, or any aftermarket ignition upgrade is highly useless with most Hondas, as the stock distributor, interal coil and trigger works fine. I'd personally suggest some NGK wires, new plugs, a new cap and rotor on your distributor. Take a few minutes with a timing light and adjust the timing as well. Done.

I fell into the trap with MSD when I got a Blaster SS external coil, wires, cap and rotor. Probably $300 wasted on a stupid upgrade. It happens. There are guys running 10-12psi bolt-on turbo kits with stock wires and coils. The only reason I would say upgrade is for serious nitrous, 25psi+ boost, or a built motor and high compression.

Back