MSD rpm activated switch, HELP!!!!!!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Carnage

I just finished swaping my old D15b2 with a D16z6, im runing all PM6 ecu distributer and intake, heres my problem. Since I cant run my vtec on my ecu, I got my self a MSD rpm activated switch (PN 8950) and a 30 amp relay, I wired everything according to the instrution but when I wire up the White wire (rpm input wire) from the msd box, on the the blue wire (distributer), my tach does not work anymore and the vtec still does not kick in. I talked with one off my friend and he said that you can wire the white wire to the ecu instead of on the distributer but I dont know what wire.

Anybody ever had something like this happen ??????

Any help would appriciated

Thanks for your time

I got the same problem a few days back but I have the MSD coil and the box. My blue wire on the dis was spliced with MSD white wire from the box. I opened the si dis and saw that the blue wire was linked to the side of the igniter module. Since I am running a msd coil and my stock coil was removed. I removed the white/blue jumper wire from the igniter module which is just next to the blue wire. I moved the blue wire to the pin where the white/blue wire was of the igniter module. The msd system finally worked as well as the tach.

Even with the original coil in place, the blue wire spliced and MSD system disengaged, my tach couldn't work without changing the wires on the igniter module. The module is located at the front side of the dis setup.

Hope this helps.

I've seen them wired at the ECU. You will just have to get a pinout for your car and see which wire is RPM sensitive.

I have tried to changed the blue wire, to the white-blue wire on the igniter and my car wont start now, i get no sprak out of the dis, If I flip the 2 wires aroung again the car starts no problem.
Any ideas ?????????

Originally posted by Carnage@Jan 1 2004, 05:38 PM
I have tried to changed the blue wire, to the white-blue wire on the igniter and my car wont start now, i get no sprak out of the dis, If I flip the 2 wires aroung again the car starts no problem.
Any ideas ?????????

In the first place, are using an internal stock coil or external coil, such as an MSD Blaster Coil? It seems likely you are using stock.

If you are using an internal coil, you need to splice to the white/blue wire which is troublesome, meaning you have to drill a hole through the cap to access it. OR, you can do some major rewiring inside the distributor which is even more troublesome.

Actually, if you are using a stock coil you can connect to the white/blue wire by attaching your msd white wire at the coil connector and placing this white wire at the 'soft' portion where the black/yellow and blue wire exits from the distributor. After which you can just screw the cap on. Leave your blue wire completely alone then. Try starting your car and test vtec. If it works, cut out a small slot at the soft portion for your new wire for better distributor tightness.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!
VTEC IS UP AND WORKING PERFECT, I spliced the white/blue wire and cut out a little slot in my rubber seal around the blue and black/yellow wire.

Thanks peanut

Always wanted vtec in my civic !!!!!!!!!!

Back