Mt. Wahington Hillclimb...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by Celerity@Jun 22 2004, 11:43 PM
Will Chip be participating ?

-> Steve

No. This is by [almost] invitation only. They're only allowing vintage cars that (I believe) ran there before 1960. And the drivers are either the owners of these cars, or people who drove there before (again, probably before 1960) - or both, as is the case with my uncle and father.

Seems that the Rutan lineage is big into motorsports. What's the complete history ?

-> Steve

Originally posted by Celerity@Jun 23 2004, 10:55 AM
Seems that the Rutan lineage is big into motorsports. What's the complete history ?

-> Steve

Oh boy. Long story. Essentially it started in the 50s. Both my father and his brother. My dad raced at Sebring in 1955 in an Austin Healey 100S and finished 2nd in his class behind Sterling Moss. Both uncle and father raced a lot in CT, at Lime Rock (during the first race), Thompson, etc. And they hillclimbed, of course.

My father had a business to run and small children (including me) and got out of it in the late 50s. My uncle more or less continued to compete, and raced extensively in Formula C, winning the national championship a few times in the late 60s. I'd say he stopped the wheel to wheel stuff (other than go-karts and maybe an ice race or two) in the 70s, and now he basically just does the VT hills, autocrossing in Bristol, and some go-Kart races. There's probably more to tell, but I'm more familiar with my father's racing history than my uncles. Ah, my uncle did race at Pike's Peak one year, winning his class.

My cousin is the rock star of the family. He's captured most of hillclimb records in VT, and he finished 2nd overall at Mt. Washington in 1999.

My father got back into the hills about 10 years ago and raced competitively (winning his class) until he was 77, then he retired from automobile racing (hitting a tree at 50mph helped make up his mind).

Wow, maybe it was your dad that I remember hearing about. Either way, I've turned my head a few times when I hear about a Rutan challenging the field.

And your uncle is that popular ? Wow.. I had no idea. What is your next motorsport move ?

Red Bull is looking for an F1 driver :)

-> Steve

I may go. If I do, I'll drive up on Friday (or Thursday night) and come home Saturday afternoon/evening to get ready for the autocross at Bristol on Sunday.

Just so whoever goes isn't disappointed, it's not going to be a real (i.e., competitive) hillclimb. I think it's mainly going to be a show with a parade up the mountain.

As always, I'll see what I end up doing.

It looks like I probably won't be going to MW this weekend. Too much to do around here.

I'm planning to be at Bristol on Sunday, but we have a great company picnic that day as well - so I may leave early.

No joy from me. Since you can only stand at the start line, I'm not going to bother. I'd just assume stand at one of the stop lights in town and cheer everyone on as the light goes from red to green.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lmao:

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Jul 7 2004, 02:43 PM
No joy from me. Since you can only stand at the start line, I'm not going to bother. I'd just assume stand at one of the stop lights in town and cheer everyone on as the light goes from red to green.

That's too bad. The Maine ProRally should be much more exciting to watch... as that will be a real race.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Jul 7 2004, 01:43 PM

True. Hillclimbs aren't really a spectator sport, unless you have a nice corner with good company. Watching from the start is a bit boring - but at Mt. Washington, there's usually tents set up with food and goodies to spend your money on. Plus, they typically have cars on display, etc.

Personally, the only reason I would have gone would be to see my father and uncle, since this will be their last time on the hill. And most likely anybody's last time for a long time. It's sort of the Pikes Peak of the east.

What's really incredible, is when you drive up to the top and then realize that the average speeds of the top drivers is over 60 mph. And the record speed recorded (by radar gun) on the hill is about 114 mph.

Martine... If you are going to be up in NH this weekend, do you think I could grab my spare tire from you? Maybe we could meet on your way up or way back home?

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Jul 9 2004, 09:58 AM
Martine... If you are going to be up in NH this weekend, do you think I could grab my spare tire from you? Maybe we could meet on your way up or way back home?

I'm not sure of my plans this weekend. Autocross in CT on Sunday is calling to me... you're in Laconia? I guess PM me your cellphone number.

Originally posted by number9@Jul 8 2004, 09:07 PM
Personally, the only reason I would have gone would be to see my father and uncle, since this will be their last time on the hill. And most likely anybody's last time for a long time. It's sort of the Pikes Peak of the east.

Gee Chip... you should really go to the hillclimb then.

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal@Jul 9 2004, 09:17 AM
Gee Chip... you should really go to the hillclimb then.

I know. But I just took last week off, and a day during the prior week. And I have a few fires to put out in the office. Not good timing, I'm afraid.

Back