Muffler ticket

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Qwikcivic

I got a ticket last night for my muffler being to loud. There is no price on the ticket just says that I have to report to traffic court on a certain date. The cop said if I get a new exhaust and have a cop sign the ticket, mail it in and the ticket would go away. My question is for those of you who have experienced this how much is the ticket goin to be? I'm thinking it's going to be cheaper then going and changing my whole exhaust. Right? What do I do when I go to traffic court, plead guilty and pay the ticket or plead not guilty?

yes the ticket will be cheaper than changing your exhaust- BUT simply paying the ticket doesn't mean another cop won't pul you over for it again- If you really don't think you're exhaust surpasses the noises limits, have it tested and take that test information to court to prove that you are within legal noise limits- However if your exhaust is super loud and the cop was right for pulling you over, then you should really consider a way to quiet the exhaust, whether it's a silencer in the muffler, a resonator, or completely changing your setup that's your call

It's really not that loud it's a Thermal catback. Nice deep tone not loud and ricey. But i'm taking the car off the road for the winter anyway. Thanks for the reply anyone know how much the tickets gonna cost?

get a silencer...

or put your stock one back on for a couple days...

Originally posted by Qwikcivic@Sep 21 2004, 06:43 PM
... Thanks for the reply anyone know how much the tickets gonna cost?
[post=393158]Quoted post[/post]​

call your local traffic court clerks office. they will tell you the amount.

Originally posted by Qwikcivic@Sep 21 2004, 06:43 PM
...anyone know how much the tickets gonna cost?
[post=393158]Quoted post[/post]​

mine cost 90 bux when i got one a couple of yrs ago. its funny because i had a bone stock dx hatch with a greddy evolution muffler, and it wasn't even that loud. and now they would have a field day with me b20/vtec with a N1 exhaust, talk about bumble bee loud

get a silencer...

werd, i agree with pissed...

you can even make a temporary one if you are really poor and desperate...

silence the bitch then take it to a police station, or police officer and have them sign off that it was fixed, the ticket gets dropped, and you get to take the silencer back out until the next incident...

not sure about your state, but i know in NY you only have 24 hours to get it fixed so get to it...
or find a friendly cop to predate when he signed it...?

first you need a piece of flat metal that will fit snuggly inside your muffler or tip...

then you need a piece of metal pipe or conduit...

then cut a hole in the flat piece of metal...(a paint can lid will work)

insert the pipe through the metal... then tac it or use whatever means you have to keep that pipe in there...

then you insert the whole setup into your muffler...

if you have ever seen a silencer for a greedy system, or the like, then you have the basic idea of what it should look like...
all you need to do it make the output of your exhaust into a smaller diameter, and you want the pipe to stick in further to give the sound a place to dissapate before exiting the exhaust...

to make it even quietier wrap some insulation around the pipe...
you wrap it aroun the piece that will be inside the muffler then wrap some wire around it, this will make a very good sound dampening device...

i may not have explained it too well, so if you have questions just ask..

Originally posted by Qwikcivic@Sep 21 2004, 04:49 PM
I got a ticket last night for my muffler being to loud. There is no price on the ticket just says that I have to report to traffic court on a certain date. The cop said if I get a new exhaust and have a cop sign the ticket, mail it in and the ticket would go away. My question is for those of you who have experienced this how much is the ticket goin to be? I'm thinking it's going to be cheaper then going and changing my whole exhaust. Right? What do I do when I go to traffic court, plead guilty and pay the ticket or plead not guilty?
[post=393113]Quoted post[/post]​

Hey, what state are you in? I also got a ticket for my exhaust being too loud and i ALSO have a thermal catback.

In my state (MA) there is no Decible limit for exhausts, and i got off because i showed the judge paperwork from THERMAL R&D about how it's a 90db system .. .

Originally posted by Qwikcivic@Sep 22 2004, 05:37 PM
Im' in NY where did you get the paper work that showed the decible's? That might work.
[post=393592]Quoted post[/post]​

I called thermal and they were happy to send it.

- Im me at Cashizslick on AIM - ill tell you how i beat this ticket

Back